The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by usamimi »

They have Digimon out but it's only in English, right? I was always confused about that...why only release them in English? :?: (Maybe that was the only thing they got the rights to? idk)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

My Rose of Versailles DVD box set 1 was waiting for me when I arrived back home after spending Golden Week with the family. The preorder/special edition or whatever it was called comes with a shitajiki/pencil board. It's just barely not small enough to fit inside the DVD box.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Neat. I'll be picking a copy up this week, Greg. Any thoughts on the picture quality or the DVD in general?
greg

Post by greg »

It may be a while before I get around to watching it. I know my wife will want to finish the last DVD of Yawara before starting something new.

In other news, my daughter finished DVD 12 of Yatterman. It's getting to the point where my wife and I are only casually watching these now, and I am not seeing every episode.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Discotek announced they picked up ADV's "Mighty Space Miners". Did anyone ever watch that back in the day? I never did because I thought the name sounded pretty hokey, but apparently looking at reviews it was pretty good?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:Discotek announced they picked up ADV's "Mighty Space Miners". Did anyone ever watch that back in the day? I never did because I thought the name sounded pretty hokey, but apparently looking at reviews it was pretty good?
I remember renting it and liking it back in the day. I will probably pick this up.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

Discotek Media also tried to get the rights to the Shinzo Ningen Casshan TV series but that didn't happen but will try again later. I never saw the "Mighty Space Miners" but it is on my VHS want list. As for Casshan I would love to see more of that show. What little we did get from Macek/Streamline I loved.
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

How did I miss this:

From now through May 9, take 40% OFF the retail prices of all DVDs and Blu-ray discs from Discotek and Eastern Star at Right Stuf; Sale Link

Must order Mad Bull 34 Tonight
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

nordstar wrote:How did I miss this:

From now through May 9, take 40% OFF the retail prices of all DVDs and Blu-ray discs from Discotek and Eastern Star at Right Stuf; Sale Link

Must order Mad Bull 34 Tonight
That's actually what I'm picking up from them as well, along with Locke the Superman, Taro the Dragon Boy, and Venus Wars. I'm surprised to see Happiness of the Katakuris on this list. That is probably my favorite of Miike's movies, an incredibly bizarre horror musical. Must have a seen it a hundred times at least. Highly recommended.
greg

Post by greg »

Oh gosh, it's so tempting, but.... I will wait for the next opportunity to get Lupin and Venus Wars.... Urgh...
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page