The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by llj »

Of interest to old-school fans:

Streets of Fire is finally coming to North America blu-ray via Shout Factory
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Ill just add it to my two DVD copies that I have (one being a Korean copy I found at a local pawn shop and the other probably one of the last releases on DVD).
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

llj wrote:Of interest to old-school fans:

It's listed as a collector's edition in the tweet. It may actually have something like deleted scenes or alternate takes or something, ANYTHING.

If the money is there, this could be the disc that gets me to splurge for a Blu-Ray player.

I still find it interesting and amusing how home video has gone full circle. In the early days, the late '70s, the Major Studios really weren't at all sure about this 'home video recorder' nonsense but some people with vision actually licensed movies to be put on VHS and Beta. Often they were fairly cruddy TV film prints, near bootleg in quality but they were doing it. Now, the Major Studios want badly to get out of physical media (because streaming brings back the preferred 'you pay every time you watch' paradigm they lust for) and some brave companies seek to still fulfill the desire to own a film (TV series).

Only problem with boutique publishing of niche product- short runs, high retail, insane secondary market prices. Bah.

Good thing, Shout! Factory still releases DVDs and is not a BD snob. Maybe the Streets of Fire Collectors Edition will have a DVD release. That would be win-win :)
llj

Post by llj »

Shout Factory usually releases combo-DVD+BD packs, although I confess I haven't bought any Shout! stuff in the past year to know if they are still doing that--last thing I got from them was Night of the Comet--released in 2015, I think. It was a combo pack.

But blu-ray players can be had for really cheap these days. I know I've been saying this for a while, but there are serviceable players out there you can get for the price of 2 DVDs. My BD current player was $50 and I bought it in 2011.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

llj wrote:Shout Factory usually releases combo-DVD+BD packs, although I confess I haven't bought any Shout! stuff in the past year to know if they are still doing that--last thing I got from them was Night of the Comet--released in 2015, I think. It was a combo pack.

But blu-ray players can be had for really cheap these days. I know I've been saying this for a while, but there are serviceable players out there you can get for the price of 2 DVDs. My BD current player was $50 and I bought it in 2011.
Yes, but one must have a. money and b. a place to keep it, the player, discs, TV and so on. Soon I shall have neither it seems.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Whenever I read "Streets of Fire" I always think of the videogame "Streets of Rage"! xD

Funny story (maybe), I had never heard of this film but it is my partner's favourites. When we were living together years ago I heard it from his study and I was like "wh-- whuh? Are you listening to Bubblegum Crisis?" And he's like, "What's BubbleGum Crisis?" Which I found monstrous as he considered himself to be a cyberpunk nut. Many videos and books (AD Police etc) were shared.

This coincidentally also exists xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyg5ltekAZw
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

PinkAppleJam wrote:

Whenever I read "Streets of Fire" I always think of the videogame "Streets of Rage"! xD

Funny story (maybe), I had never heard of this film but it is my partner's favourites. When we were living together years ago I heard it from his study and I was like "wh-- whuh? Are you listening to Bubblegum Crisis?" And he's like, "What's BubbleGum Crisis?" Which I found monstrous as he considered himself to be a cyberpunk nut. Many videos and books (AD Police etc) were shared.

Streets of Fire isn't a classic movie (at least in the eyes of many) but the influence of its style really grabbed hold of a segment of Japanese animators like few things since.

and regarding that Youtube link all I can say is brilliant. :) The thing that really caught my eye was when the 'maker' sped up some of the BGC clips they looked REALLY spiffy.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

PinkAppleJam wrote:

I had an idea to do an AMV to the trailer years ago, but when I saw this was already done by someone else (and done much better than how I imagined it), I was pretty content and let that idea slide.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

SteveH wrote:and regarding that Youtube link all I can say is brilliant. :) The thing that really caught my eye was when the 'maker' sped up some of the BGC clips they looked REALLY spiffy.
Aw yes, big love to mega-framerates :) Akira still looks sooo good!
llj

Post by llj »

So Discotek has Goshogun now. Movie on BD and DVD and TV series on DVD-only.