The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by danth »

I liked Ruin Explorers. Worth a watch I think.

I LOVE Black Magic M-66. I just hope to god the video is fixed; the original release had insane pixelation/staircasing -- easily the worst I've ever seen. But the show itself is rock solid. It's a bit of a Terminator rip-off, but it's just well done. And the robots are scary! The way they moved was creepy. Excellent animation direction.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

A friend of mine (or was it one of my siter's ex-boyfriends?) had a Black Magic M-66 T-shirt. I never got around to watching it, though.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I remember renting it forever ago and thinking it was cool, so I definitely want to try to get it when it comes out if they updated the video quality.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

Discotek Media Announced yesterday the following:

Great Teacher Onizuka complete series
Thermae Romae
Blue Submarine No.6 complete series
Tekkaman Blade II

They are really doing a good job releasing stuff that hasn't been released or has been OOP for a long time.
Looking forward to Tekkaman Blade II and Blue Sub 6.
greg

Post by greg »

I have the GTO box sets that Tokyo Pop released with XL T-shirts. I think they did a good job with footnotes and such in the DVD covers, referencing stuff like Sgt. Saunders from the old Combat show (which might even be more popular in Japan than it was in the USA) and Japanese daytime talkshows. One anime that Tokyo Pop released that I never got was Marmalade Boy.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I think they actually announced some of those before, but they didn't have estimated dates and now they do. I'm kind of excited about GTO because I never got to buy Tokyopop's version!

Greg--I have a couple of TP's Marmalade Boy, but box set #3 is apparently impossibly hard to find now: every time I see it for sale online it's like $200. :? (Like I'm gonna pay that!) I keep hoping that someone will pick it up for re-release (and maybe the manga, too--I have TP's translated manga, but they didn't do that great a job with the translation, imo). In Japan, they JUST started a new Marmalade Boy manga series called "Marmalade Boy Little" (apparently it's about the children of the main characters from the first series), so I'm kinda hoping that might be a good excuse for someone to get interested in the rights again! *crosses fingers*
greg

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:Greg--I have a couple of TP's Marmalade Boy, but box set #3 is apparently impossibly hard to find now: every time I see it for sale online it's like $200.
Wow! I had no idea. I hope it does get re-released in that case! I just looked up how much GTO box sets go for new, and they're outrageous too. Apparently there is a demand for this show to get re-released!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

I don't think there's enough demand for Marmalade Boy to get a re-release. The original release was a flop, and it's only gotten older. I think the prices are high because there's few copies to be wanted by the few people that want it. I think if they re-released it, the 10 people that want it would buy a copy and the rest would sit and be a pile of regret for the licensing company. In today's environment, the only way an "old" title is getting a re-release is if it's a classic whose popularity is unknown but expected to be strong or a previous release that was really successful and probably still has "legs". Marmalade Boy is neither of those.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I dunno about that...I have a lot of female friends who still talk fondly of it and even wish they could re-purchase it. I mean, Discotek released "Lovely Complex" (which is a similar sort of shoujo romantic comedy series), which surprised me, because I didn't think THAT was really gonna be popular enough to ever get released here. So who knows? I could easily see Discotek or RightStuf picking it up (and like I mentioned before, with the new manga being released, there could definitely be renewed interest in it.)
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

There's still a big love for Marmalade Boy, it was for many a gateway to shojo manga and anime. I don't know about the current shojo market though...it seems girls like vampires and hosts more than plain slice of life romance nowadays, but I stopped reading shojo titles for years now. :lol:

I'm actually not surprised about Ruin Explorers. Having collected and been donated various VHS the last 4 months, I noticed at least 80% of people offering had Ruin Explorers. I had it a long time ago myself and loved it. I think it's really awesome it's getting a re-release~
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram