The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by usamimi »

Oh I totally love the Lodoss Island shorts! They're really cute, so I'm looking forward to having em on there as well.

I never finished the tv series, I saw the first few eps & I guess it didn't excite me enough to continue. It has a good soundtrack though!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

usamimi wrote:
DKop wrote:I will totally pick up Lodoss Wars on bluray, which ads to my other dvd sets of lodoss war I have. I still have the TV series on DVD, so i'll just hold on to that still.

I've always been curious on Dancouga, so I might get that eventually. I still wanna get Giant Gorg sometime soon, I just havent gotten to that yet. SInce Dancouga is coming out this summer and me working a bunch i'll pick it up and see it with fresh eyes for the first time.
For Lodoss: I should clarify it's ALL of Lodoss in one big box, the TV series along with the OAV. So you might as well trade in that TV series unless you want 2 copies of it on dvd xD
Yea I noticed that too. Here's the thing: I probably won't care, seeing how I have 2 copies of the OVA on DVD and this will just make 3. I'm already bringing a ton of stuff to Animazement this year, so I'll put some thought into that.

I'm gonna assume the price on this is $80 to $100? It wouldn't surprise me if it was.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Well, it will probably still be cheaper than a 4 episode disc from Aniplex. :lol:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Rightstuf has a preorder up for Lodoss now & yup: a lil over $80 SRP. But the preorder price is like $62 right now so not a bad deal: http://shrsl.com/?hill
DKop

Post by DKop »

62 is a better price, and 80 was about what I was expecting, which to me I was willing to shell out for anyways.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yesterday Discotek announced they've got new releases for August 29 set up: the Sanrio stopmotion "The Nutcracker" film, the Wizard of Oz anime tv series, Night Walker, Sanrio's "A Journey Through Fairyland" (aka Fairy Florence), and a re-release of the 90s shoujo series Marmalade Boy.

I'm super excited for almost all of these, but Journey Through Fairyland & Marmalade Boy especially. JtF because I LOVE that movie growing up & probably watched it a million times alongside Unico and The Sea Prince & The Fire Child. And Marmalade Boy is SO painfully early 90s shoujo that I can't help but love it still. :lol: Toky0pop's old release was terrible, they split it up into 4 huge yellow boxes with bad translations & an ugly new logo, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it get a nice treatment from Discotek!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

The Sanrio films are what interests me here. While they haven't announced Blu-rays for them, they seem to eventually get around to blu-rays for most of their movies.

I have the first 2 Tokyopop Marmalade Boy boxes. While I enjoyed the series, I might hold off only for the final set to finish it rather than rebuying the series from scratch.

As for the Wizard of Oz TV series, I think the anime compilation films are enough for me. I would still watch the TV series if someone put it on TV again though.

Since Discotek is very open to releasing old anime that had dubs on them, I wonder if they have interest in some of those other WMT shows that aired on HBO, Nick, or those Christian networks? There are also a couple of shows that aired in Canada ONLY which had english dubs too, like The Bush Baby. The history of english dubbed anime on TV is full of obscure stuff.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I'd totally recommend ditching the TP boxes, tbh. The translations are awful & they left a TON of random Japanese untranslated in the show throughout because they thought it "sounded cool". :roll: Those things always bothered me so I'm hyped to finally have someone fix em lol.

I wonder if they do BDs for the Sanrio movies that sell well? Since Ringing Bell doesn't have one yet (but that doesn't bother me, it's not the best one out of them imo). It'd be great if JTF got one, since I think there's one in Japan.

I'd love it if they could get some of those old Nick/HBO/ect shows. Honestly since Mike Toole works with em, I wouldn't be surprised if he's looked into that or possibly even working to get some! That'd be awesome.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Viz FINALLY announced they will be releasing the Ranma 1/2 movie & ova box set later this year AND Discotek announced they'll be releasing the sequel films 2-4 of Project A-ko! I was wondering if they'd ever release those :lol:
DKop

Post by DKop »

I believe I have the sequel on vhs that I've had for years but have never gotten around to watching it. At least this gives me and inscentive to watch the rest.