The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by SteveH »

I know it's not the best place...has there ever been consideration to starting a 'new old school anime DVD/BD in Japan release' page?

Anyway, Hell has maybe frozen over. Tatsunoko is releasing the long forgotten, never before on home video, mostly ignored except by maybe 8 people in the USA TV series Okawari Boy StarzanS on BD.

My jaw is officially dropped. I mean full-on Dr. Slump facefault. You know what I mean. ;)

Of course English subs are completely out of the question but I suspect there may well be a fansub project gearing up. I think ADV/Sentai COULD release it (given their tie-in to Tatsunoko) but I seriously doubt they would even consider it (altho man if there was EVER a time for a comedy parody show that brushes against Star Wars this would surely be that time), I think StarzanS would find a better, more respectful home at Discotek, but I think it's so totally impossible there COULD be an American release I would think that indeed Hell was at the freezing point of liquid water.

I know little about the release other than it's going to be a 2-part release, there's two BD discs in each set with, what, 17 or so episodes between them. The first volume is reported to have a really nice book included, so that eases the pain of a $400 USD purchase (appx, $200/set and no I can't get it but I know some are, the lucky bugs). Japanese language only, as far as is known.

What a strange new world to have such things in it. :)
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

StarzanS is your baby, am I right Steve? I remember you mentioning that on an AWO comment a long while ago to me.

And if your all about "Oh man it won't come to America," Discotek has been freezing Hell over for years now, just give it time. I still got my bid in for Sol Bianca and Angel Cop. Goku Midnight Eye was another but that sucker got released with both dubs might I add.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Did the world a favor and edited the StarzanS wiki to include that info from Fandom Post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starzan_S
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

DKop wrote:StarzanS is your baby, am I right Steve? I remember you mentioning that on an AWO comment a long while ago to me.

And if your all about "Oh man it won't come to America," Discotek has been freezing Hell over for years now, just give it time. I still got my bid in for Sol Bianca and Angel Cop. Goku Midnight Eye was another but that sucker got released with both dubs might I add.
Sol Bianca is a good one. I'm starting to have doubts that good enough materials exist for a decent DVD-quality master. Angel Cop I feel will come in time.

Me, I'm still waiting for the entire Gall Force to be re-released.

I've a feeling that nowadays it will feel a lot more like "serious" science fiction than it was back in the 80s/90s.
DKop

Post by DKop »

I would rebuy Gall Force when that gets released. The earth chapter dvds for years have always been expensive, and the first 3 I think are still going up in price. I do own all of the series between dvd and vhs, official releases and fansubs.

I'd imagine Gall Force looking amazing in HD quality, that'll be cool to see.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

DKop wrote:StarzanS is your baby, am I right Steve? I remember you mentioning that on an AWO comment a long while ago to me.

I don't know if I can call it 'my baby', but I have spent a good deal of time pimping for it, because it was so wacky fun. (same for Galatt, which I'm shocked isn't undergoing a revival as it is perfect for today's otaku culture, but onward.)

I mean, StarzanS isn't going to cure cancer or make your floors shine brighter or help the kids with their math scores, it's just a super goofy Tatsunoko SF comedy with some wonderful off-kilter performances. It's SOOOOOO seeped in '80s Japan pop culture I'm sure I was missing 80% of the humor. The easy stuff makes it accessible. Darth Vero (or Bero) loosing his cool is just funny as heck, and who can't love Tetsujin Ultra Z?

And then there's the hapless, hopeless Evlis. Wow.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

For me the one is LoGH/GinEiDen. I even signed that thing a decade (or two?) back saying that I would purchase it even at a thousand dollars if it came out. Of course, nowadays real life is a bit more...real, but for that...
It -has- been picked up, but in the two years since then it has been silent. At least the books have started coming out...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

So, AX 2017 is winding down, did Discotek announce any more shocking, impossible, mind f--king titles for upcoming release? :)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

SteveH wrote:So, AX 2017 is winding down, did Discotek announce any more shocking, impossible, mind f--king titles for upcoming release? :)
Nope, sadly nothing really of note at AX. Nozomi announced a few street dates for gundam things as well as a captain Tylor bd but we all knew those were coming so...nothing surprising.

Nozomi did finally get a release date & details for the Utena anniversary bluray box tho, finally! http://shrsl.com/iwy6
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
zimmerit
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by zimmerit »

Robot Carnival on bluray from Discotek: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 0583378944
Sean // zimmerit.moe