The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by SteveH »

I'd likely pop for the original Sol Bianca. I regret that the whole OAV doesn't really match up to that opening, but it's got style and I like style.

I also greatly approve of Discotek rescuing Crusher Joe. I do hope they managed to release it original aspect ratio but I fear it'll just be another faux 'widescreen' because Japan be stupid about this stuff.

(also makes me gunshy about the upcoming Arcadia of my Youth and I dearly wish a specific person didn't hadn't swiped my Viz subtitled Galaxy Express VHS tapes)
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

SteveH wrote:I'd likely pop for the original Sol Bianca. I regret that the whole OAV doesn't really match up to that opening, but it's got style and I like style.

I also greatly approve of Discotek rescuing Crusher Joe. I do hope they managed to release it original aspect ratio but I fear it'll just be another faux 'widescreen' because Japan be stupid about this stuff.

(also makes me gunshy about the upcoming Arcadia of my Youth and I dearly wish a specific person didn't hadn't swiped my Viz subtitled Galaxy Express VHS tapes)
Well, if this video is accurate, it seems to be the same aspect ratio as the DVD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpdTo1Nc9Ho

It does seem like Toei messes up the most when it comes to their old movies. Not only the aspect ratio problem, but the DNR. Their Galaxy Express 999 remaster was scrubbed so clean it looks digitally animated...
llj

Post by llj »

My biggest fear with the Crusher Joe BD is locked subs. I mean, it was just released in Japan, so Discotek would have to wait at least a year before a possibility of non-locked subs emerges.
llj

Post by llj »

llj wrote:

It does seem like Toei messes up the most when it comes to their old movies. Not only the aspect ratio problem, but the DNR. Their Galaxy Express 999 remaster was scrubbed so clean it looks digitally animated...
Also, I can't really think of any other companies that has released faux widescreen old anime other than Toei. Any other examples?
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

llj wrote:
llj wrote:

Also, I can't really think of any other companies that has released faux widescreen old anime other than Toei. Any other examples?
I had thoughts that when Bandai/Sunrise released the three Gundam movies (with the altered audio) to DVD the OAR was fooled with but I may well be mistaken.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:Not sure if I've missed any other notable old school announcements, but I see Discotek has rescued Key The Metal Idol. Apparently DVD only though.

I'm a minor fan of this OVA, but I don't see myself a big enough one to go spring for a DVD re-release of it (I don't own the Viz DVDs either). If it were on Blu-Ray, though, I'd definitely consider it.
Oh wow, I missed that since I've been sick! I have the old viz dvds but I might double dip cuz the old dvds don't look so good. If they did blurays, even better!

Gkids got the license for Ghibli's Ocean Waves this week. It only took, what, 23 years for a north American release? :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Looks like Funimation is FINALLY gonna release that Speed Racer bluray set they announced in 2015: http://amzn.to/2iRfcOY

Now, when they announced it they mentioned they were also releasing the original Japanese version for the first time. With a $30 price tag on this "complete collection" set, I'm curious to see if that includes the Japanese version as well, or if that will be a separate set. Either way, glad we're finally getting more info on this!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

Actually.... does anyone know about Sentai Filmworks? They announced that they were doing Legend of the Galactic Heroes on DVD or Blu-ray back in 2015, but anytime I send them an e-mail asking when, they just say that they don't know. Also, last time I read up on newish series, I also read that they had the rights to another series that sounded interesting, but again, no news on when/if it will be released, just that they had the rites.
So... are they reliable? I am curious.
llj

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:Looks like Funimation is FINALLY gonna release that Speed Racer bluray set they announced in 2015: http://amzn.to/2iRfcOY

Now, when they announced it they mentioned they were also releasing the original Japanese version for the first time. With a $30 price tag on this "complete collection" set, I'm curious to see if that includes the Japanese version as well, or if that will be a separate set. Either way, glad we're finally getting more info on this!
I can't believe this will be $30. This must be some mistake. Either that or as you said, this is the old Fernandez dub only. But I don't know how they can even do a 1080p version of the old dub, unless it's just an upscale.
SakoeraTyan
Anime Fan Since: Early 2000s

Post by SakoeraTyan »

llj wrote:But I don't know how they can even do a 1080p version of the old dub, unless it's just an upscale.
By syncing the dub audio to the video from the Japanese HD remaster, cutting out the cut scenes, and recreating titles wherever necessary. That should be reasonable to do, as long as you make sure the playback speed matches. Here's hoping Funimation did a competent job on this.