The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by usamimi »

Yes!! I'm so pumped, I love the film! Never saw the TV series, actually.

Oh I don't think it got mentioned, but discotek also picked up the Captain Harlock Endless Orbit SSX series!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I have the Nutech DVD of the GoShogun movie where it's presented in 4:3 ratio. I could tell it was wrong because part of the title screen is clearly cut off on the side. It will be nice to presumably get the 1.85:1 (or 1.66:1) version.

(Hopefully no faux-widescreen though)
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

usamimi wrote:Yes!! I'm so pumped, I love the film! Never saw the TV series, actually.

Oh I don't think it got mentioned, but discotek also picked up the Captain Harlock Endless Orbit SSX series!
Oh? Something that I will have to grab when it comes out. There needs to be some way to send time-delayed e-mails to remind yourself of something...
(which reminds me, it has been another 6 months, I should see if a date for LoGH dvd has been announced... yeah, nothing new in the last 2 years)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Discotek announced they got DANCOUGA! :shock: And it'll be released this July! That was a surprise lol. They also announced a new bluray for The Sea Prince & The Fire Child.

And Funimation announced this morning they're rereleasing Record of Lodoss War! The oav will be on dvd/bd, the TV series just on dvd. FINALLY!! I'm glad we're actually getting this...I was so bitter when Media Blasters canceled it.
llj

Post by llj »

Nice...I'll be all over that Dancouga. I was tempted to watch the whole thing through not-so-legal means last year but held off in the hope that maybe it might get picked up after all. I still have the first VHS volume.

Happy to see Lodoss Wars finally on BD too. I paid a pretty penny for the VHS set back in the day, and me and my friends were crazy about it since we were into d&d and RPGs at the time.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

I don't know how Discotek does it. I mean, there's no real theme or obvious plan I can see, they just seem to go *bloop* and another "Nobody's gonna bother with that show" title gets picked up.

So I have to wonder how long until they REALLY break my mind by announcing 1000 Year Queen TV, or Flying Phantom Ship or completely impossible shows like StarzanS or Galatt.

Or even, let's seek something outrageous. They make a deal with Toei and start releasing live action shows made prior to Toei's deal with Saban. Vintage Kamen Rider, the Space Sheriff shows, the Super Rescue shows, oh good lord Robot Detective K or Zubat. Maybe a co-production with Shout! Factory? That would be awesome.

But 1000 Year Queen TV series, that's a holy grail to me. That and a license -rescue of Galaxy Express 999.

(there's no need to tell me about that company in Hawaii that went all-in on Kikaida and Kamen Rider V-3, I know all about that. Note they stopped after they did the 'local faves'. )
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I will totally pick up Lodoss Wars on bluray, which ads to my other dvd sets of lodoss war I have. I still have the TV series on DVD, so i'll just hold on to that still.

I've always been curious on Dancouga, so I might get that eventually. I still wanna get Giant Gorg sometime soon, I just havent gotten to that yet. SInce Dancouga is coming out this summer and me working a bunch i'll pick it up and see it with fresh eyes for the first time.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

usamimi wrote:They also announced a new bluray for The Sea Prince & The Fire Child.
I guess the Crunchyroll stream must have done OK. (^_^) My first thought on seeing it was that it looked like something that would benefit from Blu-ray; I guess they're thinking there might be enough folks out there who feel the same way.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

DKop wrote:I will totally pick up Lodoss Wars on bluray, which ads to my other dvd sets of lodoss war I have. I still have the TV series on DVD, so i'll just hold on to that still.

I've always been curious on Dancouga, so I might get that eventually. I still wanna get Giant Gorg sometime soon, I just havent gotten to that yet. SInce Dancouga is coming out this summer and me working a bunch i'll pick it up and see it with fresh eyes for the first time.
For Lodoss: I should clarify it's ALL of Lodoss in one big box, the TV series along with the OAV. So you might as well trade in that TV series unless you want 2 copies of it on dvd xD
llj

Post by llj »

The ROLW TV series was all right...I don't so much have a problem with it plotwise (the OVA really wasn't exactly famous for its writing either) but the look of the TV series is much more anime-like. Stuff like Sparks' anime-blue hair jars against the more natural hair colors used in the OVA and everything just seems to look a lot brighter and more primary-colors overall in the show, compared to the OVA's more muted tones. And I know some might kill me for this, but I actually liked the comedy Lodoss Island bits of the TV series.

Funny thing is it's pretty common now in many "serious" anime TV shows to have little comedy omakes included in the home releases.

It's probably going to be pretty pricey if it's both the TV and OVA in one set.