The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by llj »

zimmerit wrote:Robot Carnival on bluray from Discotek: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 0583378944

Wow, good thing I held off on the dvd.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Discotek will be releasing Part II of Lupin series 2 this December, as well as Photon: The Idiot Adventures and the Barefoot Gen films (on both dvd and bd).
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

What's this I'm hearing about subbed Mach Go Go Go only being available online from Rightstuf and the Funimation store? And so expensive too... :evil:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:What's this I'm hearing about subbed Mach Go Go Go only being available online from Rightstuf and the Funimation store? And so expensive too... :evil:
Wait it's only gonna be an online item? That's....kinda lame. I know they put a hefty price on that big ol plastic head collection, but I was hoping they'd do a "basic" one that was a little cheaper :/
llj

Post by llj »

Heh, pretty much all anime I get nowadays is an online purchase. Many brick and mortar stores I've been to have stopped stocking anime. It's all about toys and funkopops now.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Yep, it's really sad. FYE (part of Transamerica group) bought up the skeleton of Suncoast (formally part of Musicland group) and instead of learning from the mistakes made during it's last 6 years of life, they're doing EXACTLY THE SAME CRAP which just about ensures the same failure pattern.

To wit:

Keeping prices high, MSRP for the majority of their discs, occasional sales. These sales are usually more driven by the need to move studio deadstock than any actual attempt to create lower prices on actually desired items.

Using used DVDs try to 'carry the load' of customer demands for key stock. But how many copies of Fast and Furious 4 does anyone REALLY need?

Lackluster promotion of special ordering.

for all intents and purposes zero stocking of Discotek product and other niche, boutique publishers.

Way way WAY too much stocking of 'trend' product with it's promised higher profit margins. What is 200% of zero sales?

Staff that just doesn't give a crap about the job they do. I'm sure this is a 'top down' issue.

NOBODY seems interested in actually promoting the concept of owning your movie (TV series/whatever). Lower prices, deep catalog, promoting the unusual and different, showcasing these things with a 'recommended' wall...that could save them. Not Funko Pops.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Correction: FYE is part of Trans World, not Transamerica. argh. brain fart.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

FYE is doing what you'll find in the "anime" section of Best Buy, and that is 98 percent Funimation titles. There are a few scattered Nozomi and Sentai titles here and there, but its packed full of Funimation merch. The upside to FYE is you MIGHT find a used dvd from CPM or ADV buried in the catalog of DVD's they have, but that's few and far between.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Hey guys!

I haven't signed in here for a very long time. Been busy with other things I guess.

However I noticed there are new Project A-ko DVDs on Amazon. For instance here.

Does anyone know if those have better quality than the pre-existing DVDs? Because I have the ones from the old box set and the video quality was pretty terrible. I would love to get the new DVDs if the video is improved.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:Hey guys!

I haven't signed in here for a very long time. Been busy with other things I guess.

However I noticed there are new Project A-ko DVDs on Amazon. For instance here.

Does anyone know if those have better quality than the pre-existing DVDs? Because I have the ones from the old box set and the video quality was pretty terrible. I would love to get the new DVDs if the video is improved.
Discotek's DVDs are a noticeable improvement from the old CPM release. Definitely worth picking up!

Speaking of Discotek, they've announced a few new older releases recently: Hare Tokidoki Buta (as "Fair, then Partly Piggy"), the Space Warrior Baldios movie, and a complete Marmalade Boy bluray (standard def on 2 BD discs instead of several DVD sets).