The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by usamimi »

Discotek's recent streaming panel had new announcements for: An Orguss bluray collection, a Fatal Fury: The OVAs bluray, Galaxy Cyclone Braiger on SD-bluray, Lupin Part V on bluray, and updates on their previous announcements. More details here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... me/.173682
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Discotek announced a lot of great stuff at Otakon over the weekend, the biggest one being the ORIGINAL GUNBUSTER OVAs on bluray!! Other highlights include Lupin III: Mystery of Mamo bluray, Machine Robo on bluray, Ashita no Joe 2 movie on bluray, Samurai Troopers on bluray (which will include a new HD version of the TV cut of Ronin Warriors!), Cutie Honey: The Live on bluray, and more: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ie/.175930
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The really big news on Gunbuster is the fact that it'll be dubbed for the first time ever! It's been a subbed show since the original US Rendition release back in the early 90's.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Most excited for GunBuster and Mamo blu-rays. Hopefully as we get closer to that Samurai Troopers BR set it will get out onto the streaming services and I can prioritize how quickly I am going to try and pick it up.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:39 pm Most excited for GunBuster and Mamo blu-rays. Hopefully as we get closer to that Samurai Troopers BR set it will get out onto the streaming services and I can prioritize how quickly I am going to try and pick it up.
Oh, it's been streaming for quite some time! https://www.crunchyroll.com/samurai-troopers
Unless you meant the Ronin Warriors version, which I don't know if that will ever be put on streaming...but I guess stranger things have happened, lol.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:43 pm
Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:39 pm Most excited for GunBuster and Mamo blu-rays. Hopefully as we get closer to that Samurai Troopers BR set it will get out onto the streaming services and I can prioritize how quickly I am going to try and pick it up.
Oh, it's been streaming for quite some time! https://www.crunchyroll.com/samurai-troopers
Unless you meant the Ronin Warriors version, which I don't know if that will ever be put on streaming...but I guess stranger things have happened, lol.
Either way really ^.^ I've been slacking on watching stuff on Crunchyroll for a minute cause I've got a buggy Firestick version and I've yet to get an update. I wonder if the same source is on RetroCrush, which is where I usually put YST on for background noise at work. I feel like until recently, RC had both YST and Ronin Warriors on there but RW is gone now. I also feel like PlutoTV, at one point or another, ran Ronin Warriors (cause I would try to schedule work changes when I realized what time it was on).

I'll have to try and check it out on Crunchyroll and see if I can tell a difference then! Thanks!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 am

I'll have to try and check it out on Crunchyroll and see if I can tell a difference then! Thanks!
Don't you mean FuniRoll? :lol: I wasn't sure how long RC would hold onto titles for their streaming service. I was watching Cybersix on there a few months ago, I should go back and finish that.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Either way really ^.^ I've been slacking on watching stuff on Crunchyroll for a minute cause I've got a buggy Firestick version and I've yet to get an update. I wonder if the same source is on RetroCrush, which is where I usually put YST on for background noise at work. I feel like until recently, RC had both YST and Ronin Warriors on there but RW is gone now. I also feel like PlutoTV, at one point or another, ran Ronin Warriors (cause I would try to schedule work changes when I realized what time it was on).

Hmmm, I don't think that the "Ronin Warriors" version was streaming before, because if you check out all the work that Discotek had to do just to GET the dub....uh, if the materials for it were already available streaming, I don't think they would have had to do all that? 😅 https://twitter.com/ArguingMeadows/stat ... 8389754882

The Samurai Troopers dub has been streaming for a while, though, so maybe that's what you were thinking of? Retrocrush has it labeled with "(Ronin Warriors)" next to the title, probably to get more hits, but it's def not the TV broadcast cut. (And Pluto, Tubi, and even Amazon Prime uses Retrocrush's streaming materials, so I could see them labeling it that with that not knowing it's technically not the TV broadcast version.)
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:49 pm

Hmmm, I don't think that the "Ronin Warriors" version was streaming before, because if you check out all the work that Discotek had to do just to GET the dub....uh, if the materials for it were already available streaming, I don't think they would have had to do all that? 😅 https://twitter.com/ArguingMeadows/stat ... 8389754882

The Samurai Troopers dub has been streaming for a while, though, so maybe that's what you were thinking of? Retrocrush has it labeled with "(Ronin Warriors)" next to the title, probably to get more hits, but it's def not the TV broadcast cut. (And Pluto, Tubi, and even Amazon Prime uses Retrocrush's streaming materials, so I could see them labeling it that with that not knowing it's technically not the TV broadcast version.)
Did some cross-referencing because a version of Ronin Warriors not available didn't sit right with me. The old Bandai DVDs, these unique dual-sided/dual-layered discs had both the Ronin Warriors dub (as best I can tell, it was the broadcast version, but I didn't dig out my TV tape to compare) and a subtitled YST. These came out in 2002 (or started anyway), not too long after (or maybe still during) the Toonami run, and while they were awesome for the time, they've got some shifty pan-and-scan going on. Discotek's DVD set, I figured, was a re-packaged (and maybe cleaned up, I don't know, I don't have it) version of the old Bandai discs. The stream of YST on CR looks a bit cleaner with the same pan-and-scan; RetroCrush has the RW dub (also very similar to the Bandai DVDs, pans and all).

Now - Jose's twitter thread (hey, I know that guy!) is super cool for lots of reasons, but I think that tracking down those broadcast masters, it looks like the Blu-Rays are going to be a brand-new unique source and Discotek's giving these a real fresh look - https://twitter.com/Kitsunelaine/status ... 0376866828.

Alright, I'm sold.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Ah ok, gotcha--that's probably why I was confused, thanks for clarifying that! It doesn't help there's nothing online that really goes into detail about what versions are streaming and what aren't, lol. I know at least that their initial DVD release didn't have any English tracks at all, and that's why they were getting a lot of requests for a "Ronin Warriors" release for ages. https://www.rightstufanime.com/Legendar ... V-Series-S