Ranma 1/2 to be released on Blu-ray, DVD and 2-in-1 Manga

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Ranma 1/2 to be released on Blu-ray, DVD and 2-in-1 Mang

Post by usamimi »

gaijinpunch wrote:I think they're yet to be released though, right? At least not all of them. Those boxes are freakin' pricey!

EDIT: Yeah, the 2nd one is about to drop.
Ah, sorry, I forgot they hadn't all been released yet. I should've worded that as they are GOING to release 3 sets in Japan. :lol:

Yeah, the UY and MI boxes are pricy, too, but that's a given for Japanese releases...hopefully Viz's releases will be a little cheaper.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

I generally dog Japan for their ridiculous pricing structures. Not just for media, but everything. It seems w/ their multi-layered manufacturing, it is impossible to make something at a reduced cost. These shows are ancient... I personally find, even w/ nice packaging, they push the limits in cost...even the reduced Amazon cost of about $300 USD each. Would love to own the MI sets (much more manageable to rewatch!) but I will definitely wait for used.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Someone on Twitter was kind enough to send me a photo of the "preview" manga for Ranma 1/2 they're giving out at NYCC this weekend: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/6 ... nga-viz-is

She told me the art was unflopped and the Japanese sound effects appeared to be intact, so I'm assuming this means the actual release will be the same as well. Viz also had panels specifically for Ranma, where they talked about how originally it was released in the monthly "floppies", how they had to use PHOTOS of the Japanese manga to make pages instead of getting the physical original copies, etc. They also confirmed that the anime will be released in hi-def in 4:3, the original aspect ratio, with no cropping to the picture for both the DVD and blu-ray.

That's all the info I got from their live-tweeting. I kinda hope someone was able to take video of the panels and might upload it later, since I'm curious to hear what else they might've discussed.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Viz's re-release of Ranma on blu-ray and DVD will be split into 7 box sets instead of 3 like in Japan, apparently:

Viz Media is also going to release Ranma ½ on Blu-ray Disc and DVD. Viz will release the series in seven limited edition collector’s box Blu-ray Disc sets starting in spring 2014. The releases will include the original Japanese episode order, and will be in full 1080p with the original 4:3 aspect ratio. The release will include both Japanese and English audio tracks.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I wonder if they are splitting it up like that to name the boxes like the originals... (Hard Battle, Outta Control, etc). I kinda hope not, I was really hoping it would be alot less to collect. And I know some people just don't like the later seasons, so those are the easiest to usually get currently.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:I wonder if they are splitting it up like that to name the boxes like the originals... (Hard Battle, Outta Control, etc). I kinda hope not, I was really hoping it would be alot less to collect. And I know some people just don't like the later seasons, so those are the easiest to usually get currently.
I assume it's partly that, but it also might be to be more appealing to consumers? If they put out 3 box sets, each one would probably be kind of pricy. If they separate it into smaller, cheaper box sets; new/younger fans would probably be more likely to want to check it out because it'd be more affordable.
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Probably don't like this show enough to buy ,but wouldn't mind watching the original "set" again. Good memories. Still debating throwing away $300 on the MI BR box set. I think it's safe to say it won't get a cheaper US release.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

gaijinpunch wrote:Probably don't like this show enough to buy ,but wouldn't mind watching the original "set" again. Good memories. Still debating throwing away $300 on the MI BR box set. I think it's safe to say it won't get a cheaper US release.
I'm still holding out hope that if Ranma does well they might consider MI (considering it's a lot shorter than Ranma, lol.)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I wonder if they will include the original eyecatch screens instead of the dumb Vizified ones?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:I wonder if they will include the original eyecatch screens instead of the dumb Vizified ones?
I hope soooooooo. I mean, I understood why they did it for the originals, but now Viz's old logo for Ranma looks a tad dated.