Ranma 1/2 to be released on Blu-ray, DVD and 2-in-1 Manga

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Re: Ranma 1/2 to be released on Blu-ray, DVD and 2-in-1 Mang

Post by kndy »

RANMA 1/2, the martial arts action adventure comedy series that influenced generations of fans around the world, is coming soon to North America Blu-ray and DVD! The first of seven seasons of RANMA 1/2 sets debuts on a Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set (available for the first time in HD!) and on Standard Edition DVD Set on March 25th!

Based on the manga series created by Rumiko Takahashi (also coming out in a remastered 2-in-1 omnibus edition), the legendary series gets the deluxe treatment in the Blu-ray box set:
Gorgeous premium chipboard box with gold foil stamping, and illustrated by Rumiko Takahashi!

3 disc set with 23 episodes presented in original Japanese episode order!

presented in 4:3 aspect ratio with full 1080p High Definition resolution taken straight from the original Blu-ray masters

Japanese with English subtitles, dubbed English audio track, and a secondary "signs and songs" subtitle track!

Tons of on disc exclusive extras, including exclusive footage from the RANMA 1/2 panel at the recent New York Comic Con, a highlight reel of the New York Comic Con VIZ Media events, and an exclusive "We Love Ranma" Part 1 Manga Remastering interview with VIZ Media editor Hope Donovan!

Includes 64-page booklet with full color episode gude and manga remaster sampler!

Both Blu-ray and DVD sets will be available soon for preorder! To check out a trailer of the High Definition Blu-ray set, please visit: http://youtu.be/ykQrD1J09ts
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

LOOK AT THAT COLOR. I'll be getting at least the first two sets, as they are from my favorite seasons.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

lol I JUST came here to post it. I'm so excited, ahhhh!! It's being released close to my birthday, too, ahh...it's like they knew! X3
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Early word around the web is that the subs are locked on the BD. YAY :roll:
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Post by Ben »

llj wrote:Early word around the web is that the subs are locked on the BD. YAY :roll:
I have to say, I haven't been wild about the quality of Viz's recent releases, this is one I wish I had imported before ebay snipers jacked up the Japanese BD's.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I haven't gotten a copy of the blu-ray yet (I've been hinting to family that, with my b-day on April 2nd, that'd be the perfect gift, lol)...but if the stream on Hulu plus is any indication, I don't know if the subs will be "locked". I had to actually turn ON subtitles when I watched it on Hulu plus, because when I first started playing it, it had none. XD But as soon as I get a copy, I'll let you guys know.

I was worried about the BD quality because of what I've heard of Viz's previous BD releases...But so far? All the reviews seem to be glowing ones! http://www.fandompost.com/2014/03/27/ra ... me-review/

I think Viz realized this was something that they had a history with and that people still loved, so they'd better bring out the big guns and treat it right. So far, seems like they have! I'm really glad to hear it.
llj

Post by llj »

It had been confirmed on fandompost that the subs are locked. Maybe it's a different thing on Hulu because it's not a physical release of the show.

It's a really dumb handicap to impose on American releases and in my opinion doesn't prevent reverse importing at all.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:It had been confirmed on fandompost that the subs are locked. Maybe it's a different thing on Hulu because it's not a physical release of the show.

It's a really dumb handicap to impose on American releases and in my opinion doesn't prevent reverse importing at all.
Ah, really? That's a shame. :/ Not a deal-breaker for me, though, but I agree it's kind of a dumb idea. But if that's what the Japanese studios want in the contract, I guess it can't be helped...
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Hard subs are a big "fuck you" to American fans in my opinion.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Despite the locked subtitles, I would highly recommend this set to any Ranma fans. The show looks and sounds fantastic, and the packaging is top-notch. The slipcase is is sturdy and looks great on a shelf.