Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter goes live 10/25!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter goes live 10/25!

Post by usamimi »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/121 ... n=107d75bf

Looks like the BGC blu-ray Kickstarter will be up and running tomorrow at 8pm EST in the US. It looks like the changed it around a little again and there's a "early adopter basic" for $40 for the basic set, but limited to 250 people. After those sell out, there's a $50 basic set that doesn't look to be limited. (And similar "early" tiers for the higher tiers.) There's a few tiers for getting special items as well (lol, a pillow case is one of them XD)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
usamimi

Re: Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter goes live 10/25!

Post by usamimi »

AAAAAAND IT'S UP!

I'm amazed that it's only been up half an hour and it's already over $15,000. I knew people would donate, but I thought it'd be a little slow to start. :lol: Good to see there are still plenty of people out there who care about an old series!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I'd join in, but I just do not have a Bluray player, nor do I anticipate getting one anytime soon... They are region-free though...
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

greg wrote:I'd join in, but I just do not have a Bluray player, nor do I anticipate getting one anytime soon... They are region-free though...
Bought one for my friends a couple years back from a sale at Wal-Mart for $30. Plays discs as wel as media files like MKVs and AVIs. Also streams video like Netflix. Course you could get a media player for about the same price and rip the discs to a hard drive and play them that way. These days I'm collecting media streams from around the world. Got quite the list now. Also free and paid VPNs. Makes TV cheap...
greg

Post by greg »

Who was the manufacturer? I'm a bit leery of stuff that's too cheap. My parents would go for those Black Friday specials and end up buying electronics made by crappy companies such as Goldstar and it turns out that it sucks. They once bought a 5 CD turntable that wouldn't read discs half the time, etc.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Just pledged my support for the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter!

It looks like it's going really well so far, people really seem to want this on Blu-Ray. I hope this Kickstarter fuels a wave of new releases from AnimEigo! In particular, I would love to see Kimagure Orange Road get this treatment.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:Just pledged my support for the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter!

It looks like it's going really well so far, people really seem to want this on Blu-Ray. I hope this Kickstarter fuels a wave of new releases from AnimEigo! In particular, I would love to see Kimagure Orange Road get this treatment.
oh man, if they could re-release Orange Road, I would be so, so happy. :shock:
greg

Post by greg »

Unfortunately, they lost the license to KOR. I remember that was the announcement when they started liquidating their KOR DVDs, and I took the opportunity to snatch up the box sets of the TV series and OVA series. UY is likewise lost. I don't think they own licenses of many series anymore. You're Under Arrest is going out of print, but I don't know if that means that they've lost the license or not.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Ah, I had a sneaking suspicion they had, but I couldn't remember for sure. UY I knew they outright lost the license for, too, since they mentioned that once they were liquidating the DVDs. YUA! I know they lost the original OAVs (around the same time as UY) and the TV series I think was/is close behind. (I picked up the YUA! OAVs with some of UY when they had them on sale).

I think you're right that they don't outright own a lot of stuff anymore...I think the only ones they do is what's left on their website, like the BGC universe, the original Vampire Miyu OAV, Otaku no Video, Riding Bean, and Dagger of Kamui. I suppose that, since they've dealt with the old titles before, there could be a chance that they could pick up their old titles AGAIN for re-release, maybe...but only if they were still on good terms with the licensor that holds it. Like, I dunno if they could get UY back, for example. (I got the impression that they fought to try to keep it, but lost.) KOR...maybe? But considering that was a Shonen Jump title, Viz might actually have more of a chance with that now that them. (Though I dunno Viz's current stance on re-releasing "nostalgia" titles...maybe if Ranma's re-release does well they might consider more older stuff? Who knows.) I'm still kinda holding out hope that Discotek might consider it, if they're able. That seems like a title that'd be right up their ally.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:Unfortunately, they lost the license to KOR. I remember that was the announcement when they started liquidating their KOR DVDs, and I took the opportunity to snatch up the box sets of the TV series and OVA series. UY is likewise lost. I don't think they own licenses of many series anymore. You're Under Arrest is going out of print, but I don't know if that means that they've lost the license or not.
I was not aware that AnimEigo no longer held the license to Kimagure Orange Road. :(

Hopefully AnimEigo, Discotek, or someone out there will rescue this license.