Sailor Moon Crystal (new 2014 anime)

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Sailor Moon Crystal (new 2014 anime)

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:Well, the senshi costumes have this sort of upper chest padding, like what a football player might wear. That's how I see them anyway.

Unless you're talking about the transformation silhouettes making them look bigger, but I personally didn't think they did.
Oh, I never thought about it that way! :lol: That's definitely a good theory.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I really liked the 5th episode. Whatever time they gave to Mars in this one, it perfectly gets her character that she doesn't care about boys while in the old TV series, they made her boy crazy while she was not like that in the manga. I think Sailor Jupiter's new voice was good and lives up to Shinohara Emi's performance (who also plays Dr. Yamaguchi in Hajime no Ippo). I really liked this episode and they got Jupiter's character down to a T. I really hope they continue this anime up to Stars/Galaxia than just this 26 episode plan.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ParaParaJMo wrote:I really liked the 5th episode. Whatever time they gave to Mars in this one, it perfectly gets her character that she doesn't care about boys while in the old TV series, they made her boy crazy while she was not like that in the manga. I think Sailor Jupiter's new voice was good and lives up to Shinohara Emi's performance (who also plays Dr. Yamaguchi in Hajime no Ippo). I really liked this episode and they got Jupiter's character down to a T. I really hope they continue this anime up to Stars/Galaxia than just this 26 episode plan.
Yes!! I really liked this episode, and I agree about the new Makoto actress. She was Ryuko in Kill la Kill, which she was fantastic in, so I've been most excited to Makoto's appearance. And she definitely didn't disappoint!

The only thing I was kinda sad about was that Usagi didn't get to do her transformation pen disguise as a Groomsman, like she did in the manga. But I'm pretty sure they cut it to give more time for Nephrite's few scenes and more focus on Makoto, so I'm ok with that, heh. ;)
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I loved the Tuxedo Mask episode way more than the manga version. I also love Queen Beryl's introduction here which I don't think was in the manga. Man, does she have big tits lol. I am have accepted the present Tuxedo Mask seiyuu as an individual, but I still think he lacks the chemistry with Kotono Mitsuishi that Furuya Tooru had.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Surprisingly, the animation was alot smoother and nicer in episode 5 (although I'm still not a fan of it, I'm glad there weren't any derp faces!) and I really love Makoto's new voice, I think it does fit her more than the original. No matter what version of the anime, I always feel a little like Makoto. I guess this episode made me want to continue, eventhough I was telling myself I didn't want to, lol.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I saw the trailer of the bluray at a local dvd shop and it looks really nice and show side by side comparions between the internet broadcast and the bluray so it looks promising.

anyway, episode 8 was really excellent and does it much better than the original manga and I think this episode is starting to show how Takeuchi-sensei really conceived of Sailor Moon. In the manga, the Senshi go to Tokyo Tower together as opposed to Venus going first by herself which I really liked.

i love how they put more into sailor venus' character and i think her voice actress does excellent. I also love how she is smart and determined and not all so blonde ditzy like the 90s anime. Still, I don't like Artemis' new voice. He sounds like an old man.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ParaParaJMo wrote:I saw the trailer of the bluray at a local dvd shop and it looks really nice and show side by side comparions between the internet broadcast and the bluray so it looks promising.

anyway, episode 8 was really excellent and does it much better than the original manga and I think this episode is starting to show how Takeuchi-sensei really conceived of Sailor Moon. In the manga, the Senshi go to Tokyo Tower together as opposed to Venus going first by herself which I really liked.

i love how they put more into sailor venus' character and i think her voice actress does excellent. I also love how she is smart and determined and not all so blonde ditzy like the 90s anime. Still, I don't like Artemis' new voice. He sounds like an old man.
Yeah! I felt like that really was closer to Minako's character. She's a little over the top sometimes in her civilian mode, but when she's Sailor V/Venus, she is dead serious! I thought it was a nice touch. I like her voice actress a lot, too.

YES, I felt the same way about Artemis! I thought he sounded a LOT older than his old voice, it was kind of weird. :? Not bad per say, but it through me off and made me chuckle.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Old thread bump! I don't think I responded to this...
greg wrote:This reminds me, while watching Sailor Moon R, didn't they always draw Chibi-Usa with little boobies? How old was she supposed to be, again? Like 6 or so, right?
She is, but as described previously her age/existence is very wibbly-wobbly. I saw her transformation uniform as having the upper chest padding part of her suit design, so may have emphasised an older girls' silhouette on her a bit unintentionally. But I also always viewed the transformation sailor-senshi-suit uniforms as a slightly more mature power-dressing for these characters once transformed.

Ugh awful Scrappy-doo character. xD Like Dawn, in Buffy! I often wonder if Whedon ever watched Sailor Moon R...
llj wrote:Well, the senshi costumes have this sort of upper chest padding, like what a football player might wear. That's how I see them anyway.
Ah that is interesting, as I always viewed them as sports-bra-esque chestplates! :D

SMC has come out on Blu-Ray and DVD globally now, but not in the UK (the license was too expensive and we did not grow up with it so there is no pre-existing market base) :/ Once again I need to import, but I haven't splashed out yet...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Aww really?? No UK release? That's a shame....tbh I haven't bought any of Crystal on BD because they're a bit pricy here. I might see about getting the 3rd season whenever they release it though because it's definitely been my favorite out of all of em so far. Season 3 seemed to iron out SO many of the wrinkles this series has suffered with so far (for the most part...it's still not 100% perfect), and the Infinity Arc was always my favorite anyway (I love the outer senshi the best!).

Do they at least have Crystal available streaming in the UK? Or do you have to watch fansubs?