Sailor Moon Crystal (new 2014 anime)

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Sailor Moon Crystal (new 2014 anime)

Post by usamimi »

So like a crazy person I stayed up last night the watch the new Niconico Douga livestream about the new Sailor Moon anime. Lots of new stuff finally revealed!!

Screencaps of character art and seiyuu announcements: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/8 ... ico-stream

New detailed character designs from the official website: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/8 ... s-from-the (you can click on the images for full-size)

The big thing was that we finally have SOME ART (YAY!), we know the Senshi's seiyuu now, we know the official release day and time, and Kotono Mitsuishi is reprising her role as Sailor Moon! Still no word on Tuxedo Kamen. I'm kinda holding out hope that Furuya will reprise his role, but it's really unclear right now.

I also made some comparisons on the new designs versus the original manga here: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/8 ... er-designs

Personally, I was really worried it'd look TOO updated or moe-fied, so I'm pretty darn happy that's not the case. They took just enough visual queues from the original designs Naoko Takeuchi did to make it look similar.

Of course, the REAL test is gonna be how the animation looks, so I'm hopeful that with these pretty good designs it'll look good! July's not TOO long to wait, at least!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Re: Sailor Moon Crystal (new 2014 anime)

Post by Ben »

I'm excited about this as well, it's almost like the 90's never went anywhere, what with DB Kai AND new Sailor Moon. :lol: That was one gripe I had with the Dragon Ball Battle of Gods movie, it drifted too far from Toriyama's original artwork in an effort to look "modern". Hopefully Sailor Moon Crystal doesn't make the same mistake, based on those designs you posted it looks like they didn't.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I'm really excited they've blatantly said it'll be an adaptation of the manga! I really hope they'll make it a fairly faithful adaptation. They missed out on doing so much with the original series.

I already have been getting people sending me complaints on Tumblr and comments on my posts saying they hate them. But really, no matter what they did, someone somewhere was gonna think they were bad. *shrugs* I'm very optimistic, I think they're really trying to do their best to make it look like Takeuchi's style (well, as best as one can in a digital format and on a TV anime budget). Like I Said, the test will be on the animation quality, imo. So I'll definitely be looking forward to trailers!
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I am kind of a purist when it comes to seiyuus for the most part. I know that Mars' previous seiyuu has retired. I also hope Han Keiko is Luna and Queen Beryl again
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I was surprised that the only vet returning (so far) was Usagi's, but the new ones sound pretty good, so I'm hopeful. I would LOVE if Keiko Han came back for Luna and Beryl! I don't think she's retired, so why not? XD
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, Tomizawa Michie retired from the voice industry about 10 years or so ago. She was one of my favorites, too.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Well if Furuya Tooru can play Amuro so he can sure as hell play Tuxedo Mask. I believe Han Keiko still plays Lalah in the games of Gundam as well from time to time.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ParaParaJMo wrote:Well if Furuya Tooru can play Amuro so he can sure as hell play Tuxedo Mask. I believe Han Keiko still plays Lalah in the games of Gundam as well from time to time.
Yeah! See, that's what I'm hoping. Plus he and Kotono Mitsuishi were both kinda like "We can't wait for the new show!!" last year at an event and then Mitsuishi ended up coming back to reprise her role, so...I'm hoping that means Furuya will as well. His voice is so iconic to me, it'd be weird having someone else as Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask!
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

The new designs are so gorgeous.

And I'm so glad Misato was able to get back to her role. She's so godly as a VA.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

The hair is MASSIVE, but overall yes, I quite like the designs. XD Exciting!