Kenich Sonoda

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: Kenich Sonoda

Post by Animusubi »

Sonoda is one of my favorites for sure. I did hear his Bullet the Wizard didn't do well sales-wise, so the chances of it getting picked up here are probably slim. But maybe it would do better here. Gosh, I don't even think people know who he is anymore. I heard there weren't a huge number of people at ECCC there to see him, but maybe they were like me and found out the last minute. I woulda so bought tickets just for him, I was depressed that whole weekend. I just bought one of his old artbooks too, so I woulda loved to have him sign it. ;o; Hopefully there's a next time.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

ryoran wrote:I just bought one of his old artbooks too, so I woulda loved to have him sign it. ;o; Hopefully there's a next time.
Oooh, which one is it? Can you read the name? I would love to get to see him and get his autograph myself. Back in 1990/91, when I discovered anime as actual anime from Japan and not dubbed for syndication on UHF TV stations and such, with subtitles and everything--- it was like stumbling across a forgotten cave of treasures that nobody knew about. Sonoda's artwork in particular probably had the largest impact on me and my newfound fandom. More than Rumiko Takahashi or Akemi Takada, even. Being a huge SF and Blade Runner fan, discovering BGC videos for rent at the neighborhood video rental store was like finding the holy grail for me.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

greg wrote:
ryoran wrote:I just bought one of his old artbooks too, so I woulda loved to have him sign it. ;o; Hopefully there's a next time.
Oooh, which one is it? Can you read the name? I would love to get to see him and get his autograph myself. Back in 1990/91, when I discovered anime as actual anime from Japan and not dubbed for syndication on UHF TV stations and such, with subtitles and everything--- it was like stumbling across a forgotten cave of treasures that nobody knew about. Sonoda's artwork in particular probably had the largest impact on me and my newfound fandom. More than Rumiko Takahashi or Akemi Takada, even. Being a huge SF and Blade Runner fan, discovering BGC videos for rent at the neighborhood video rental store was like finding the holy grail for me.
I hear often that Sonoda is one of those gateways to anime or manga, as far as art. He has a really distinct and very classic style.

I attached the one I have, it's Period. I got it in a really cheap lot from someone on tumblr (these were all a steal).
Attachments
e5994fd6021911e3b8e322000a1f97ed_7.jpg
e5994fd6021911e3b8e322000a1f97ed_7.jpg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
animusubi
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Nice! I have Period as well. I made scanlations of the BGC "Gambare! Nene-chan" on my homepage here. I didn't pay much for mine either. The Sonoda Illustration Works book is a full-color artbook and goes for a bit more. I just realized that I can take some pictures of this and add it to the BGC love thread in the merchandising forum.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

greg wrote:Nice! I have Period as well. I made scanlations of the BGC "Gambare! Nene-chan" on my homepage here. I didn't pay much for mine either. The Sonoda Illustration Works book is a full-color artbook and goes for a bit more. I just realized that I can take some pictures of this and add it to the BGC love thread in the merchandising forum.
Oh yeah I saw those (I think they were also shown elsewhere in the forum). I love the book because it's got a good mix of illustrations and sequential art.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Looking at Gambare Nene-chan! makes me sad because Sonoda never made his own Bubblegum Crisis manga, one that could've fixed the little issues in the OVA and made a definitive continuity and story about the Knight Sabers.

At least he got to made Gunsmith Cats and Exaxxion, but I would've liked him to have done a Bubblegum manga after Exaxxion, instead of that shit BURST!. Yes, I'm still mad.