New Devilman anime for Fall 2015

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: New Devilman anime for Fall 2015

Post by davemerrill »

I don't recall discussing manly handshakes in Cyborg 009 Vs Devilman, but I did watch it and I enjoyed it a lot. It might have been a little "inside baseball" for those unfamiliar with the two series, but it hit all the notes it needed to hit for both Devilman and for 009, with references to both series and plenty of cyborg action and demon action and cyborg demon action.

All the Cyborgs get decent amounts of screen time, which is a pleasant change from that RE: Cyborg film. I do think 003 is underused, but that's the problem with most 009 series. The Devilman seems to draw heavily from the 80s OVA designs which are a favorite of mine, and the 009 designs are updated '79 outfits. Also a fave. Dave says two cyborg devil thumbs up!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: New Devilman anime for Fall 2015

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:I don't recall discussing manly handshakes in Cyborg 009 Vs Devilman, but I did watch it and I enjoyed it a lot. It might have been a little "inside baseball" for those unfamiliar with the two series, but it hit all the notes it needed to hit for both Devilman and for 009, with references to both series and plenty of cyborg action and demon action and cyborg demon action.

All the Cyborgs get decent amounts of screen time, which is a pleasant change from that RE: Cyborg film. I do think 003 is underused, but that's the problem with most 009 series. The Devilman seems to draw heavily from the 80s OVA designs which are a favorite of mine, and the 009 designs are updated '79 outfits. Also a fave. Dave says two cyborg devil thumbs up!
This is pretty much spot-on with why I enjoyed it, too. Now if only this was getting a physical release...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*