New Vampire Hunter D anime series announced!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

New Vampire Hunter D anime series announced!

Post by usamimi »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... rks/.89840

Apparently more info will be released at Anime Expo later this week. What we know so far:

-The author of the original novels is involved.
-Yoshiyuki Kawajiri is involved.
-It will be a co-production between Japanese studio Digital Frontier and California-based studio Unified Pictures.
-It will be done in CG animation.

Not a lot of info yet...and I'm def. not that thrilled to hear it'll be CG animated, but I'm curious to hear more.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: New Vampire Hunter D anime series announced!

Post by greg »

I'm not surprised that some Americans are behind this! I wonder if't sone of those cases in which the anime was more popular outside of Japan. The CG part doesn't sound so exciting.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I'll have to agree that I'm not thrilled to hear it will be done with CG animation, but hopefully it will turn out well. I'll have to keep an eye on this project!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

So ANN released a nice long interview with the guys behind the new VHD: http://t.co/wtu8QVxAEb

But if you're not a fan of reading interviews, I wrote up some highlights:
-The new series currently doesn’t have a set name yet.
-Each episode will be 1 hour long.
-”Think of it as an animated Game of Thrones”…also compares their ideas to “an animated Hannibal”.
-Their goal is to do “10 to 12 episode seasons”.
-The series’ plot points will be mostly from the original novels, but it won’t be a direct adaptation–they want to expand on this universe and it’s world/characters.
-They seem to be aiming for this to air on the American cable market, with episodes to air later in Japan? They’re also open to having the series on a digital platform like Hulu or Netflix.
-They’re currently in the pre-pre-production stage, developing the visuals. They want to find a good balance between CG animation and the “flow” of Amano’s original designs.
-They want it to appeal to both anime and non-anime fans alike.
-They want to feature The Left Hand more in the show than he is in the novels to give a sense of balance to the stony D.
-Their website is vhdtheseries.com, you can also follow them on Twitter @VHDtheseries.
- Kawajiri will be the supervising director, animation will be done in both the US and Japan. They’re unsure if some episodes will be directed in Japan as well or not at this time.
-Once they start writing scripts, they will be sent to Japan for Kikuchi & Kawajiri to read and take notes on for their input. Their goal is to do a collaboration between the Japanese creators and studio and their American studio.

It seems like they're putting a lot of careful thought into this project because they're huge fans themselves, which keeps me optimistic. I'm interested to see where it'll go!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Wonder why they didn't try for a live production? That's all the rage these days...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:Wonder why they didn't try for a live production? That's all the rage these days...
ooof, I dunno if I could stomach an American-made Live-action Vampire Hunter D...if they didn't have a high budget, it'd probably look like a really bad old cosplay skit. :lol:
Revenge
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by Revenge »

Wow, I didn't knew about this! I'll wait for this eagerly! I searched for news but not very much info is available besides the one that is on this topic. If the rumours are correct, and Kawajiri and Kikuchi are involved, this will be even greater.

I'm very fond of both movies, watched the first movie many times, it's still my fav, even considering Bloodlust, the first Vampire Hunter D has a place in my heart. I still remember most of the quotes, and I saw it by the last time in 2010~2011...
And the theme song of D, I remember the scene of him walking on his mechanic horse at the sunset or daybreak and that theme played... it was so good! When I saw the movie for the first time I was amazed, vampires, future and robots! 3 of my favorite things in one movie. I was literally praying for the movie to never end hehe. And it was so dark, in my old dvd copy you can barely see anything that happened in the first scene. I'm getting nostalgic now. I think i'll see it in BD now that's is available in that quality.

Bloodlust is a good movie too, has a great, great animation and char. design (Kawajiri!), and good fight scenes as far as I remember, but it someway failed to amaze me as it's predecessor, I don't remember much of it, beside the some of the fights, because I only saw it one time, but in a near future, i'll try to watch it again.

I have also the first volume of the novel, and the ps1 game, btw I cleared it last year.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Supposedly there's going to be an update on this at this year's Anime Expo, which is soon! So hopefully we'll get some new info.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

In case anyone was curious... this has morphed from an anime series into a comic book series / RPG supplement. They went to Kickstarter and issue 1 is getting ready to ship. At a glance, anyone could put in a thousand dollars to have their issue signed by Hideyuki Kikuchi himself.
-R
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, the comic KS is supposed to be a launching pad for seeing if they think the animated series they want to do would be viable, iirc? But yeah, I posted about the KS when it was still going on. Looks like people are excited about it, which is a good sign!