So about Rinne...

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

So about Rinne...

Post by greg »

...What are people's opinions? I remember seeing the translated manga back when I lived in the US. The anime is currently airing on NHK. I don't know much about it, but I really have a soft spot for Takahashi's character designs. So is this show great, or so-so?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Sentionaut
Anime Fan Since: Early 1990s

Re: So about Rinne...

Post by Sentionaut »

Maybe so-so. I only watched the first episode, but nothing there grabbed my attention enough to warrant spending time to watch more. Then again, I didn't care for Inuyasha much either. I prefer Takahashi's dramas and one shots to the longer running series. But if character design is the single factor, Rinne certainly fits the mold there.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I've heard it's ok? I tried reading some of the manga back in the day but just couldn't get into it. It's just not my cup of tea, reminded me too much of Bleach or other more recent shounen that includes shinigami or similar. ^^; Occasionally I'll see screencaps on Twitter where the animators have put little references to her older works in it, which is cute, but it looks more like her newer art style rather than her older one, so even the character designs aren't super appealing to me. I do have some friends that watch it and like it ok, though, so it might be worth watching just to see if you might like it!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I had recorded one episode, and I played it in the background while I was doing other stuff. From what I saw, it seemed to be a mix of Ranma and Inu Yasha. I wasn't paying close attention to it, but it seemed fairly derivative.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Short Version: I'm very much into Rinne right now!

Long Version (and reasons): So like Usamimi mentioned in a previous post, I too read the manga, but got turned off by it for several reasons. The whole "shinigami" thing seemed really...overdone around the time I read it due to Bleach and several other anime series. Secondly, since Inu Yasha I wasn't really liking what Takahashi was putting out, and her current art style bothers me.

But I do know that I like Takahashi's TV animated versions of her works.

So I decided to give Rinne a try, and I've seen up to 21 episodes so far (waiting for Hulu to release the rest). And to my surprise, it not at all what I thought it would be. And actually reminds me of a mix of Ranma 1/2, Inu Yasha, and Urusei Yatsura.

Why Inu Yasha? Monster characters and strong Japanese influences and throwbacks to yokai lore. And the mascot character. That's really all that makes it seem Inu Yasha esque, so that was a plus for me, since I didn't like IY at all.

Why Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura? This anime so far has not taken itself seriously at all. It's episodic, like R1/2 and UY, and the characters are goofy at times, so much so they can get on the annoying side, much like R1/2 and UY characters. But there's a heart to them, and I've found myself liking it alot.

Surprisingly, shinigami and all, the main theme of the anime is actually...money. So it sort of took me by surprise. The animation is really well done, it does look like Takahashi, but it "fixes" the problems I have with her current style.

The only issue I have is the main female character, Sakura, has yet to really grab my attention, and I find her sort of boring.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I am glad to hear that there were other people turned off by the manga; I started reading Rinne when Viz was doing the simultaneous release on the Shonen JUMP website. I read for a few chapters for a few weeks but just wasn't feeling it. Takahashi is one of my favorite mangaka but I think the setting of Inu Yasha (supernatural, historical fiction setting) was what drove me the most batty about it and to have Kyoukai no Rinne closely follow that, plus riding into the whole 'shinigami' schitck, I really didn't want to stick around. I probably will check out the anime for Rinne for myself, since it seems to work better in the anime format than it did at the very beginning of the manga.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.