Anime and the MovieCD format

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Anime and the MovieCD format

Post by _D_ »

You have to set your player, like VCD to deinterlace the picture. Then the lines should disappear. Only other way is to output to a CRT TV which does the job for you...
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

That should read VLC, not VCD. Where's the edit button when you need it...
zimmerit
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by zimmerit »

usamimi wrote:Oh that's possible!! I'll have to keep my eye out for ads in my old Animericas next time I'm flipping through em & see if that's what it was lol.
Software Sculptors, the company that released the BGC screensaver, also released some CPM/US Manga Corps titles on CD as Quicktime-compatible videos. Not sure if they ever released actual BGC episodes, though.

(image via Anime Nostalgia Bomb)
Attachments
Software-Sculptors-La-Blue-Girl-Lodoss-War.jpg
Software-Sculptors-La-Blue-Girl-Lodoss-War.jpg (279.47 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
Sean // zimmerit.moe
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

zimmerit wrote:
usamimi wrote:Oh that's possible!! I'll have to keep my eye out for ads in my old Animericas next time I'm flipping through em & see if that's what it was lol.
Software Sculptors, the company that released the BGC screensaver, also released some CPM/US Manga Corps titles on CD as Quicktime-compatible videos. Not sure if they ever released actual BGC episodes, though.

(image via Anime Nostalgia Bomb)
Nice find!
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I've had these for a little while (Mike "Star Blazers Fan Club" Pinto sent them to me) but haven't gotten pix of them until recently. They are still in the original shrink wrap because I don't even know what GDC is for my PC or if any of my PCs will even run these stone-age artifacts.
usmc_hyper.jpg
usmc_hyper.jpg (211.75 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
a-ko_hypergude.jpg
a-ko_hypergude.jpg (241.2 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Amazing! I never came across any of these. I remember ads in imported Animericas but assumed they were CD-Roms/screensavers.

We got VCDs from London's Chinatown as at some point it was the only way to get PAL region anime without crazy N-th gen conversion problems. I remember seeing Creamy Mami on my first visit to Chinatown but even at the time was too expensive for my budget at the time!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I have Chinese VCDs of a few shows, Prowes Sanshiro and Slow Step. Bought mostly because of the "Holy crap, it's Prowes Sanshiro!" factor, and I think the Slow Step VCDs were like $1.

These CPM "Anime Hyperguide" CD-ROMs I had never seen in my life, ever, I don't know if they ever made it to any sort of retail anywhere in my line of sight. Not that I would have ever bought them, if there was ever an entertainment medium destined to die a quick death, it was the CD-ROM.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

davemerrill wrote:These CPM "Anime Hyperguide" CD-ROMs I had never seen in my life, ever, I don't know if they ever made it to any sort of retail anywhere in my line of sight. Not that I would have ever bought them, if there was ever an entertainment medium destined to die a quick death, it was the CD-ROM.
If you're curious about the website: http://web.archive.org/web/199612211506 ... guide.com/ (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Wow, I remember that website (particularly that 'Laws of Anime' page) but never knew it was associated with CPM.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

davemerrill wrote:I've had these for a little while (Mike "Star Blazers Fan Club" Pinto sent them to me) but haven't gotten pix of them until recently. They are still in the original shrink wrap because I don't even know what GDC is for my PC or if any of my PCs will even run these stone-age artifacts.

usmc_hyper.jpg

a-ko_hypergude.jpg
Nice finds! These can be pretty difficult to track down.

Your current PC may or may not run them, but installing an older version of Windows in a virtual machine will usually allow you to run them. To play the MovieCDs, I had to install Windows 2000 in a virtual machine due to some issues with newer operating systems and the codec MovieCDs use.