Cheap anime how long can it last

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Cheap anime how long can it last

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by yusaku on 2016/01/10, 15:53:41 PST :

Cheap anime how long can it last!? :

I got an email from TRS a week or so ago. The clearance sale is being extended. I can buy a Moribito box set for 1.49! The retail price is 44.95. Now I am thinking that they will sell off the old inventory and most of the anime we get will be through streaming services and there will be very limited print runs of anime series. I think entertainment will be getting a lot more expensive in the future. What do you guys and gals think? Do you think YouTube will crack down on piracy? I think they may go to a subscription service that even may be free, but they will make sure you identify yourself in order to bill for downloads of pirated materials. I am getting as much cheap anime as I can because I think they are going to limit print runs. Does anyone here think it is a good strategy to buy these anime discs while they are cheap?

Originally written by SteveH on 2016/01/11, 16:30:28 PST :

Re: Cheap anime how long can it last!? :

quote yusaku I got an email from TRS a week or so ago. The clearance sale is being extended. I can buy a Moribito box set for 1.49! The retail price is 44.95. Now I am thinking that they will sell off the old inventory and most of the anime we get will be through streaming services and there will be very limited print runs of anime series. I think entertainment will be getting a lot more expensive in the future. What do you guys and gals think? Do you think YouTube will crack down on piracy? I think they may go to a subscription service that even may be free, but they will make sure you identify yourself in order to bill for downloads of pirated materials. I am getting as much cheap anime as I can because I think they are going to limit print runs. Does anyone here think it is a good strategy to buy these anime discs while they are cheap? quote

It depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. If you want to build a library of anime that you enjoy, that you can watch at any time without a single restriction, that's a fine thing to do.

If you think you are 'supporting' anime by buying it on deep discount, you've failed completely and your purchase means nothing more than TRSi has a little more room in the warehouse. See, when a DVD goes on deep clearance, it means the producing company has given up trying to make money on it and has sold it off for pennies on the Dollar, if not a flat price for a pallet full. The time to show 'support' is when the title is first offered, when the pre-order reservation solicitation goes out. Those initial orders are the lifeblood of a company, that helps set how many they make which helps to solidify their profit and margin.

And for the love of god don't ever think of any DVD as an 'investment' with hopes of making a big score later. Dumb dumb dumb.

Originally written by davemerrill on 2016/01/11, 17:48:10 PST :

The way things are going these days, if you see a DVD you want, get it they tend to vanish pretty quickly.

I didn't really see anything in TSRI's clearance that demanded immediate action on my part, but your mileage may vary.

Originally written by yusaku on 2016/01/13, 20:51:20 PST :

quote SteveH quote yusaku I got an email from TRS a week or so ago. The clearance sale is being extended. I can buy a Moribito box set for 1.49! The retail price is 44.95. Now I am thinking that they will sell off the old inventory and most of the anime we get will be through streaming services and there will be very limited print runs of anime series. I think entertainment will be getting a lot more expensive in the future. What do you guys and gals think? Do you think YouTube will crack down on piracy? I think they may go to a subscription service that even may be free, but they will make sure you identify yourself in order to bill for downloads of pirated materials. I am getting as much cheap anime as I can because I think they are going to limit print runs. Does anyone here think it is a good strategy to buy these anime discs while they are cheap? quote

It depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. If you want to build a library of anime that you enjoy, that you can watch at any time without a single restriction, that's a fine thing to do.

If you think you are 'supporting' anime by buying it on deep discount, you've failed completely and your purchase means nothing more than TRSi has a little more room in the warehouse. See, when a DVD goes on deep clearance, it means the producing company has given up trying to make money on it and has sold it off for pennies on the Dollar, if not a flat price for a pallet full. The time to show 'support' is when the title is first offered, when the pre-order reservation solicitation goes out. Those initial orders are the lifeblood of a company, that helps set how many they make which helps to solidify their profit and margin.

And for the love of god don't ever think of any DVD as an 'investment' with hopes of making a big score later. Dumb dumb dumb. quote

I disagree. Those could be some really good cheap gifts. As well as, commodities to trade with later. I intend to pick up some of that stuff if it is still available.

Originally written by yusaku on 2016/01/13, 20:56:16 PST :

quote davemerrill The way things are going these days, if you see a DVD you want, get it they tend to vanish pretty quickly.

I didn't really see anything in TSRI's clearance that demanded immediate action on my part, but your mileage may vary. quote

I agree. The publishers are getting wise and are doing limited print runs as well as dumping inventory. Once the surplus inventory is exhausted, I expect anime priced to go up considerably.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2016/01/15, 05:47:53 PST :

quote yusaku quote davemerrill The way things are going these days, if you see a DVD you want, get it they tend to vanish pretty quickly.

I didn't really see anything in TSRI's clearance that demanded immediate action on my part, but your mileage may vary. quote

I agree. The publishers are getting wise and are doing limited print runs as well as dumping inventory. Once the surplus inventory is exhausted, I expect anime priced to go up considerably. quote
While most popular titles do eventually get a reprint, this is a pretty good buying philosophy for anime or media in general . You never know what will go out of print, and there are certainly things I regret not picking up when I had the opportunity, such as the Kimagure Orange Road DVDs.

A few years ago, I almost waited too long to get the U.S. Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes. I was worried about spending so much on another release, but eventually decided the incredible quality justified the price. A few months later, some of the boxes started going out of print, and now the prices are consistently high.

After that experience, I learned my lesson. If you REALLY want something, pick it up when you have the chance.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Re: Cheap anime how long can it last

Post by yusaku »

I did the best I could; and I must admit I did get some serious anime and anime soundtrack shopping done. The gem of my collection is my "Please Save My Earth" Vol. 2 cd soundtrack acquisition and a drama CD for Ristorante Paradisio. Both of the soundtracks came from Japan because that was on the only place I could find them available.

The Please Same My Earth soundtrack it took me TEN YEARS to track down a hard copy after I lost mine in 2006. I actually lost it, and did not sell it with the rest of my collection because the half Japanese lady that owned the local anime shop had a HARD time getting that CD for me. Some how I managed to lose it when I left my old apartment. I looked everywhere for DAYS and could not find it! So, I kept looking and I found a PSME CD on ebay five years ago and someone out bid my $75 bid. I could not believe it. I got my copy for just $28 plus shipping. It is my gem.

I got a lot for my money and when I get some more cash. I will do some more shopping. I just got almost five hundred pens from Office Depot for five dollars because they merged with Office Max and recently closed the Office Max stores. Now they are sitting on a lot of inventory. A lot of anime retailers are in the same situation. I intend to take advantage of it!
***^__^***
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I think anime, at least SRP, is getting quite expensive again. Never mind the new US anime distribution companies popping up recently following the Aniplex model of pricing, but Sentai and Funimation BDs seems to be more expensive now. I just plunked down $50 cdn for an 12 episode BD, which is about 300 minutes. To compare, I paid $39 for Criterion's A Brighter Summer Day BD, which is 279 minutes long. Now you know Criterion prices aren't that cheap, but even there I'm paying much less per minute than a typical new anime on BD.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I found a blog post that tries to understand it from the Japanese end:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/12/27 ... roduction/
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/01/02 ... ials-2016/

Right now they are stretched pretty thin in Japan, it looks like. The reason behind it, strangely enough, is anime politics. Chinese companies have become interested in anime, and have been spending a lot of money trying to buy their way onto into Japanese production committees. In order to accept the money without losing political control over the process, the Chinese money is being spread across multiple different anime; which has lead to a boom in anime production. (If I understand correctly.)

I'm not sure how this is playing out on the U.S. end, though...
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

mbanu wrote:The reason behind it, strangely enough, is anime politics. Chinese companies have become interested in anime, and have been spending a lot of money trying to buy their way onto into Japanese production committees. In order to accept the money without losing political control over the process, the Chinese money is being spread across multiple different anime; which has lead to a boom in anime production. (If I understand correctly.)
Based on an interview form Anime News Network: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... em/.110624

Sorry for the multiple posts -- I haven't quite figured out how editing works just yet. (^_^;)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?