Head's up--Hulu's anime back catalog getting drastically cut June 1st!

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Head's up--Hulu's anime back catalog getting drastically cut June 1st!

Post by usamimi »

Looks like with Hulu's new features rolling out soon comes a lot of the anime back catalog getting cut along with it--on ANN's Answerman today, he gives a little insight on why: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 27/.102530

So yeah, if there's anything you've been putting off watching, you might wanna try to get in as much as you can, since it may or may not return eventually. Thankfully, a few titles will still be available via Crunchyroll, but there's a LOT that won't be (Gatchaman, Patlabor, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, some Lupin movies, Uraishiman....just to name a few!!)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Head's up--Hulu's anime back catalog getting drastically cut June 1st!

Post by DKop »

This pisses me off. I put these shows in a queue to watch eventually because I don't have all of this time in the world to binge watch something, then all of the sudden the property goes away. I'm sorry to say this, but if I have to pay for a service to watch anime that I can't get too due to them cutting shows off, I am going to resort to those "other" ways of watching these shows. And here I thought moving to Hulu would be a better way to watch anime legally, but it seems that me as the paying consumer gets hurt in the end.

Do we know if this is gonna effect Captain Harlock, im still trying to finish up that series currently.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

There's been an update: a lot of shows were now not expiring (thankfully!), but some will still be leaving. Here's the updated lists. http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/sho ... post361628 and http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/sho ... post362002

Harlock & GE999 are both on Crunchyroll too (and Harlock is on DVD from Discotek, too) so even if it was going away you still have those.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I am glad not too many of the anime is being cut. This is why I have Netflix and Hulu subscriptions to supplement Crunchyroll. I have a growing dvd collection for the same reason. I anticipated the service would start thinning the play list as people got more dependent on streamed movies.
***^__^***
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I am glad not too many of the anime is being cut. This is why I have Netflix and Hulu subscriptions to supplement Crunchyroll. I have a growing dvd collection for the same reason. I anticipated the service would start thinning the play list as people got more dependent on streamed movies.
***^__^***