Rumiko Takahashi to start new manga Spring 2019

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Rumiko Takahashi to start new manga Spring 2019

Post by usamimi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ng/.140351

I wasn't really into Rinne, but I'm always curious to see what she'll do next!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Rumiko Takahashi to start new manga Spring 2019

Post by Drew_Sutton » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I never got into Rinne either but I will at least be sure to check out the first few chapters of her new work.

Probably not the right thread for it but between Inu Yasha and Rinne, I kinda want Takahashi to go back to working a Seinen title or two.
The Article wrote:Most recently, Takahashi ended her RIN-NE manga in Weekly Shonen Sunday last December.
Huh, who'd have known? I mean, my first reaction to the article was "I guess Rinne is ending..." and not that it's already been over for a year. I know I fell out of it pretty quick but given how pervasive Ranma and Inu Yasha were in fandom, Rinne seemed damn near invisible.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.

gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm

I wish she'd do something with a clear ending in mind. Maison Ikkoku is bar none her best, by a huge margin IMHO. The others just drag. One day I'll go through Urusei Yatsura. About 2/3 through Ranma TV.

Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

gaijinpunch wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm
I wish she'd do something with a clear ending in mind. Maison Ikkoku is bar none her best, by a huge margin IMHO. The others just drag. One day I'll go through Urusei Yatsura. About 2/3 through Ranma TV.
I have long said that Takahashi, as far as her shounen work is concerned, writes excellent sitcom stories (and make for good sitcom adaptations, too) but her real strength as a mangaka is from her more seinen work and short stories (anime adaptations, included). What I love most about Urusei Yatsura and Ranma is that her characters are relatable, their dynamics easy to understand, and the "world" is deep enough to be interesting but shallow enough that I can duck in and out - ideal for a sitcom. I don't want to say you aren't supposed to have read/watched all the material but I wouldn't say that it's critical either. Ikkoku takes a lot of those characteristics and applies it to a more grown-up atmosphere which I think helps condense the story quite a bit. And I would agree - I think Ikkoku is her best work. Likewise, very short works like One Pound Gospel, Rumic Theater and Rumic World all mix and match those tones and some more grown-up stories. The Mermaid Saga, IIRC, is mostly serious and I don't know if that's my own issue with it or that it's horror or both or neither; it is the Takahashi stuff I like the least and I am sure that's ALL on me.

Contrast that with Inu Yasha and Rinne - Takahashi sets out for a comparatively serious story (I don't know if that was because of her editor or the publishing manager or what) but they also want her to crank out chapter after chapter like her other shounen stuff and it gets to be this wild, wandering journey and you're just thinking "are we there yet?".

It's odd to think of how big Takahashi was in America - especially how pervasive Ranma and Inu Yasha were within anime fandom - and there were practically zero Rinne fans. I guess it makes sense, if Wikipedia numbers can be believed, those works sold copies n the tens of millions, while Rinne was something like 3.

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

Well, we finally get some info on this new series and....surprise! Sounds like a supernatural shounen series. :lol:
mao.jpg
mao.jpg (146.85 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Tentatively titled "MAO", it will start in issue 23/2019 of Weekly Shounen Sunday on May 8, 2019.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:55 am

usamimi wrote:Well, we finally get some info on this new series and....surprise! Sounds like a supernatural shounen series. :lol:
This is, IMO, simply a bummer. I want to give this a fair shot but the whole supernatural thing with Rinne was a huge turn off for me. I hope I am wrong and this turns out to be good.

DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:28 pm

I remember giving Rinne the first 2 or 3 episodes a try when it first came out, but it didn't stick with me.

Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:16 pm

DKop wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:28 pm
I remember giving Rinne the first 2 or 3 episodes a try when it first came out, but it didn't stick with me.
Same - I did the first few chapters (three/four/five?) of the manga (I think that is when Viz started simultaneously publishing English versions to the Shonen Jump website or something) and it never caught on with me. I don't know that I have that much more of a discerning taste to Takahashi now (as she is one of my all time faves) but I got hooked in fewer chapters to Ranma and Maison Ikkoku.