Kickstarter for Legend of the Overfiend manga

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Kickstarter for Legend of the Overfiend manga

Post by usamimi »

I was surprised to see that publisher Fakku is doing a KS for the original Legend of the Overfiend manga. Apparently they're working very closely with the original artist & want to make an edition that is even nicer than the Japanese release, with unedited artwork.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/la ... -overfiend

In case you've somehow never heard of it, it's a very notorious & NSFW title by the artist who basically made the "tentacle" genre a thing in Japan. :lol: I'm curious to see if this will get funded, since it's a bit old by today's standards & I'm sure the artwork is not gonna appeal to the younger crowd as much...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Kickstarter for Legend of the Overfiend manga

Post by Akage »

I'm good friends with Toshio Maeda, so I'd like for his works to be published. I'm not sure if I'll donate to the project; I'd rather just buy more artwork from him. That and I've already pledged my support to another DMP Kickstarter for Kodomo no Jikan.
Revenge
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by Revenge »

Seems that the funding was a success, that is great news. If it's going to be released, I'll buy for sure, I like to help those attempts to bring back old manga / anime, like a French editor is doing with Nagai-san works. Many years ago I tried to buy the Urotsukidoji manga from an old edition that was released in the UK, but it would be too expensive for used goods, so sadly, I didn't buy any of them... It will be great to finally have and read the manga that basically created the hentai genre as we know it, I admire Maeda-san for that. Sadly, I don't like many more of his works, besides Urotsukidoji and Blue Girl, I remember trying many years ago one anime based on a manga he did, called "Gakuen" something... episode one was very promising, but then the lack of history, good character designs or a good ost (things that Urotsukidoji had) made the anime disenchanting for me. I remember falling asleep while watching episode 3 or 4, and making a struggle to see the last one. But thanks anyway, Maeda-san, for the great Urotsukidoji, I can't wait to read how the Makai, Humans and Juunjinkai interact in the manga.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I somehow missed both this thread and, in turn, the Kickstarter. Definitely something I would have pledged money for. Great to hear that it met its goal.
llj

Post by llj »

Toshia Maeda's own art is very different from the anime adaptations of his stuff. In fact, his anime don't really do his art justice. He's got this amazing hyper-detailed "realistic" style.
Akage

Post by Akage »

If any of you are interested in owning some of his original artwork, let me know. He usually goes to SacAnime at least once a year, and I always head over to see him. He sells a lot of original manga pages from Urotsukidoji and La Blue Girl, and they're usually not too pricey ($50-$100). He does accept commissions, but I think his backlog is about 2+ years now. If it's of interest, he does usually have a dinner on the last day of the con where he invites people who stop by his booth. We had a group of about 15 last year. It was fun, and something I'd recommend if he'll be attending a convention in your vicinity.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I've heard he's a really nice guy, and even invited fans to visit him in Japan, tho I heard some people took advantage of his kindness so he doesn't do it much anymore. If true, that's kind of awful that fans would take advantage of him that way. :\

I've never been to SacAnime but I guess I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever do!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

usamimi wrote:I've heard he's a really nice guy, and even invited fans to visit him in Japan, tho I heard some people took advantage of his kindness so he doesn't do it much anymore. If true, that's kind of awful that fans would take advantage of him that way. :\
Maybe not just people directly but also companies and business too, can really throw people out of whack. :(

I have met him, when I was living in Japan for a bit. He is a lovely chap! :)