URUSEI YATSURA NEW ENGLISH RELEASE IN 2019!

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

URUSEI YATSURA NEW ENGLISH RELEASE IN 2019!

Post by usamimi »

UY.jpg
UY.jpg (123.55 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
Viz announced today at SDCC that the Urusei Yatsura manga is coming back!!! Almost exactly 20 years after it's final cancellation, it was announced it will be re-released in new 2-in-1 omnibus releases starting next Spring.

I'm assuming it'll also get a new translation (since the old one is pretty dated by today's standards now), and we HAVE heard rumors for years that Takahashi has said "no UY anime release until the manga is released too", so......HMMMMM guess we'll see if that's true, huh? :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: URUSEI YATSURA NEW ENGLISH RELEASE IN 2019!

Post by DKop »

IIRC, AnimEigo lost the license to this about 9 years ago I believe. They still had the dvds on their site that you could still buy at the time if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't sure if AnimEigo was still holding onto the license all these years still.
TheMidnightSnack
Anime Fan Since: 2016

Post by TheMidnightSnack »

Great, now I have something else to waste my money on.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

DKop wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm IIRC, AnimEigo lost the license to this about 9 years ago I believe. They still had the dvds on their site that you could still buy at the time if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't sure if AnimEigo was still holding onto the license all these years still.
....uh, I think you didn't read this properly, AnimEigo never released the manga. :lol:
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:09 pm UY.jpg

Viz announced today at SDCC that the Urusei Yatsura manga is coming back!!! Almost exactly 20 years after it's final cancellation, it was announced it will be re-released in new 2-in-1 omnibus releases starting next Spring.

I'm assuming it'll also get a new translation (since the old one is pretty dated by today's standards now), and we HAVE heard rumors for years that Takahashi has said "no UY anime release until the manga is released too", so......HMMMMM guess we'll see if that's true, huh? :mrgreen:
I am glad that this isn't the final art - because now they can plaster "Eisner Award Winning Author Rumiko Takahashi" all over it :D

Most likely going to get this digitally if I can, I'm trying to be judicious with physical space. I'm excited too for a re-release of the anime if we could get those Japanese Blu-Rays.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:17 am
I am glad that this isn't the final art - because now they can plaster "Eisner Award Winning Author Rumiko Takahashi" all over it :D

Most likely going to get this digitally if I can, I'm trying to be judicious with physical space. I'm excited too for a re-release of the anime if we could get those Japanese Blu-Rays.
haha omg TRUE! Remember when they slapped those "from the creator of Inuyasha!" stickers on vols of Ranma 1/2? ooooof.

Not sure if these will be released digitally....not even Ranma has gotten a digital release here. Some artists don't like the idea of ebooks, this is why you don't see ebook versions of Slam Dunk or Master Keaton--more artists that don't seem to like the idea of digital versions, for whatever reason. :cry:
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

usamimi wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:39 am
DKop wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm IIRC, AnimEigo lost the license to this about 9 years ago I believe. They still had the dvds on their site that you could still buy at the time if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't sure if AnimEigo was still holding onto the license all these years still.
....uh, I think you didn't read this properly, AnimEigo never released the manga. :lol:
Gah, misread that as they had the Anime instead of the Manga, so totally my mistake there.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

This is also the Manga forum section, which might have also been a clue :mrgreen:
kuriishi
Anime Fan Since: 1990

Post by kuriishi »

I’m excited about this. I’m very interested in experiencing more of Takahashi’s work. I’m in this weird state of loving her work due to the six or seven VHS tapes of Ranma 1/2 I had in high school that I watched over and over but not having experienced most of the rest of her work in any format!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

this is 100% great. I'm looking forward to a non-flipped, non-Gerard Jones-ified edition that might just give us everything in order, not bits and pieces from here and there. And if this means Maison Ikkoku might get back in print, and if it also means we get UY and MI back in some kind of video release, that's even better.