Rumiko Takahashi to start new manga Spring 2019

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Rumiko Takahashi to start new manga Spring 2019

Post by usamimi »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ng/.140351

I wasn't really into Rinne, but I'm always curious to see what she'll do next!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Rumiko Takahashi to start new manga Spring 2019

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I never got into Rinne either but I will at least be sure to check out the first few chapters of her new work.

Probably not the right thread for it but between Inu Yasha and Rinne, I kinda want Takahashi to go back to working a Seinen title or two.
The Article wrote:Most recently, Takahashi ended her RIN-NE manga in Weekly Shonen Sunday last December.
Huh, who'd have known? I mean, my first reaction to the article was "I guess Rinne is ending..." and not that it's already been over for a year. I know I fell out of it pretty quick but given how pervasive Ranma and Inu Yasha were in fandom, Rinne seemed damn near invisible.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

I wish she'd do something with a clear ending in mind. Maison Ikkoku is bar none her best, by a huge margin IMHO. The others just drag. One day I'll go through Urusei Yatsura. About 2/3 through Ranma TV.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

gaijinpunch wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm I wish she'd do something with a clear ending in mind. Maison Ikkoku is bar none her best, by a huge margin IMHO. The others just drag. One day I'll go through Urusei Yatsura. About 2/3 through Ranma TV.
I have long said that Takahashi, as far as her shounen work is concerned, writes excellent sitcom stories (and make for good sitcom adaptations, too) but her real strength as a mangaka is from her more seinen work and short stories (anime adaptations, included). What I love most about Urusei Yatsura and Ranma is that her characters are relatable, their dynamics easy to understand, and the "world" is deep enough to be interesting but shallow enough that I can duck in and out - ideal for a sitcom. I don't want to say you aren't supposed to have read/watched all the material but I wouldn't say that it's critical either. Ikkoku takes a lot of those characteristics and applies it to a more grown-up atmosphere which I think helps condense the story quite a bit. And I would agree - I think Ikkoku is her best work. Likewise, very short works like One Pound Gospel, Rumic Theater and Rumic World all mix and match those tones and some more grown-up stories. The Mermaid Saga, IIRC, is mostly serious and I don't know if that's my own issue with it or that it's horror or both or neither; it is the Takahashi stuff I like the least and I am sure that's ALL on me.

Contrast that with Inu Yasha and Rinne - Takahashi sets out for a comparatively serious story (I don't know if that was because of her editor or the publishing manager or what) but they also want her to crank out chapter after chapter like her other shounen stuff and it gets to be this wild, wandering journey and you're just thinking "are we there yet?".

It's odd to think of how big Takahashi was in America - especially how pervasive Ranma and Inu Yasha were within anime fandom - and there were practically zero Rinne fans. I guess it makes sense, if Wikipedia numbers can be believed, those works sold copies n the tens of millions, while Rinne was something like 3.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Well, we finally get some info on this new series and....surprise! Sounds like a supernatural shounen series. :lol:
mao.jpg
mao.jpg (146.85 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
Tentatively titled "MAO", it will start in issue 23/2019 of Weekly Shounen Sunday on May 8, 2019.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote:Well, we finally get some info on this new series and....surprise! Sounds like a supernatural shounen series. :lol:
This is, IMO, simply a bummer. I want to give this a fair shot but the whole supernatural thing with Rinne was a huge turn off for me. I hope I am wrong and this turns out to be good.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I remember giving Rinne the first 2 or 3 episodes a try when it first came out, but it didn't stick with me.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:28 pm I remember giving Rinne the first 2 or 3 episodes a try when it first came out, but it didn't stick with me.
Same - I did the first few chapters (three/four/five?) of the manga (I think that is when Viz started simultaneously publishing English versions to the Shonen Jump website or something) and it never caught on with me. I don't know that I have that much more of a discerning taste to Takahashi now (as she is one of my all time faves) but I got hooked in fewer chapters to Ranma and Maison Ikkoku.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am
gaijinpunch wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm I wish she'd do something with a clear ending in mind. Maison Ikkoku is bar none her best, by a huge margin IMHO. The others just drag. One day I'll go through Urusei Yatsura. About 2/3 through Ranma TV.
I have long said that Takahashi, as far as her shounen work is concerned, writes excellent sitcom stories (and make for good sitcom adaptations, too) but her real strength as a mangaka is from her more seinen work and short stories (anime adaptations, included). What I love most about Urusei Yatsura and Ranma is that her characters are relatable, their dynamics easy to understand, and the "world" is deep enough to be interesting but shallow enough that I can duck in and out - ideal for a sitcom. I don't want to say you aren't supposed to have read/watched all the material but I wouldn't say that it's critical either. Ikkoku takes a lot of those characteristics and applies it to a more grown-up atmosphere which I think helps condense the story quite a bit. And I would agree - I think Ikkoku is her best work. Likewise, very short works like One Pound Gospel, Rumic Theater and Rumic World all mix and match those tones and some more grown-up stories. The Mermaid Saga, IIRC, is mostly serious and I don't know if that's my own issue with it or that it's horror or both or neither; it is the Takahashi stuff I like the least and I am sure that's ALL on me.

Contrast that with Inu Yasha and Rinne - Takahashi sets out for a comparatively serious story (I don't know if that was because of her editor or the publishing manager or what) but they also want her to crank out chapter after chapter like her other shounen stuff and it gets to be this wild, wandering journey and you're just thinking "are we there yet?".

It's odd to think of how big Takahashi was in America - especially how pervasive Ranma and Inu Yasha were within anime fandom - and there were practically zero Rinne fans. I guess it makes sense, if Wikipedia numbers can be believed, those works sold copies n the tens of millions, while Rinne was something like 3.

Takahashi sets out to create properties to make money for herself and her publishers first and foremost. The endgame is secondary to that.

She's very good at hammering out concepts and characters with broad appeal, and she finds formulas she can recycle for years so that the $$$ keep coming in.

I'm not saying this as a criticism of her. I'm just saying that fans often have a misunderstanding of what she sets out to do most of the time, which is to make money for an extended period of time.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I think a lot of Shounen Jump manga are exactly the same way. Underdog but loveable main character overcoming hardship is a classic SJ formula.

The thing that Inuyasha had going for it in the US was that it was broadcast on TV at a time where people still were watching cable TV. Streaming was still in its infancy, and a lot of that required that you'd visit websites with questionable and/or virusy ads or hoping that your connection stayed intact as it took you hours to torrent 1 episode. If you're a teen stuck at home on a weekend and had slow internet service back in the early-mid 2000s, whatever shows Cartoon Network and cable aired were your staples. A lot of the gateway anime for many now older fans were series that were once aired on CN.

*gets into stuffy artsy talk*
I remember when IY animation artwork just glutted the market back in the mid-late 2000s. Inuyasha was a cel based series up to the first movie and episode 100, and then it switched to CG. A good chunk of the primo stuff made its way to the US thanks to one particular Japanese seller, and there were a handful of collectors who dropped tens of thousands of dollars onto the series. I attended Anime Expo during this time period and during the yearly meeting/dinner we had (SlugFest, named after the art website most of us used), several collectors would compete to see who amongst them dropped the most cash on the seller's artwork. I nearly choked when one of them at the table mentioned that she had dropped $20K, only to be followed by an avid Cardcaptor Sakura cel collector mentioning that he had just spent $25K.