Maison Ikkoku Collector's Editions coming 2020 from Viz!

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Maison Ikkoku Collector's Editions coming 2020 from Viz!

Post by usamimi »

I can't believe I forgot to post here, but Viz announced during NYCC that Maison Ikkoku will get a re-release in new collector's edition manga summer of 2020. It'll have a brand new translation, not sure of any other details yet but I'm so excited! I'll finally be able to recommend it easily to people again!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Maison Ikkoku Collector's Editions coming 2020 from Viz!

Post by Drew_Sutton »

This is some cool news, indeed - I actually never knew that their 2000s run of it went out of print. I've still got my set. Does anyone remember hearing anything about art touch-ups or changes in that set? I know it's vague saying it like that but for the life of me that's all I can remember. Would love to see a Blu-Ray set to follow though so I don't have to drag my LDs out whenever I want to watch it!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Sorry for the late answer on this! The 2000s release of Maison Ikkoku Viz did was unflipped, whereas their 90s release was flipped....I don't think there was any art edited? As for this new release, it's probably going to be based off the Japanese shinsoban re-release, which might have some updated art, not sure since I don't have it on hand for comparison.

I would love to see a bluray release, too, though I'm trying not to get my hopes TOO high for such a thing, considering it's 96 episodes and they struggled to release the whole thing even back in the day... :/ The manga is my favorite version of it, anyway, so at least we'll have that!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:55 am Sorry for the late answer on this! The 2000s release of Maison Ikkoku Viz did was unflipped, whereas their 90s release was flipped....I don't think there was any art edited? As for this new release, it's probably going to be based off the Japanese shinsoban re-release, which might have some updated art, not sure since I don't have it on hand for comparison.
That may have been it, honestly. I have one of the first trade collections and several of the floppies from the 90s and the whole set from the
2000s but I don't know that I've ever compared them side by side myself for the chapters I have "duplicates" of. I felt like there was something more that was different in the 2000s version but that may have been it and someone may have been blowing it out of proportion.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Vol 1 is up for pre-order on Rightstuf now!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: http://shrsl.com/24cud
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

In case anyone missed it, vol 1 got pushed to Sept 15! Also, there's a free preview to read on Viz's website now: https://buff.ly/3bYRhbm