Berserk Creator Kentarou Miura Passes at 54

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Berserk Creator Kentarou Miura Passes at 54

Post by DKop »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 54/.172988

I just wanna say this death kind bugs me. The thing is I JUST started watching the 97 series the day he died, and that the past couple of weeks while enjoying this series for the first time and seeing how the original series ended, that Miura was dead this whole time and me not knowing about it till just today. It really eerie and dark, kind of like the series.

I plan on finishing up whats been animated next with the Golden Arc movies and the CGI series, and hopefully the demand on the remaining story in manga form will still be available for me to read, which im sure since Berserk is Dark Horse golden calf. The joke on this series that we wondered if it will get a conclusive end, and now we'll never get that. I can't fathom what true Berserk fans are going through right now since I just got started in this series. I figured i'd put the thread on here regardless. RIP Miura.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Berserk Creator Kentarou Miura Passes at 54

Post by llj »

Yeah, after a certain point in a long running series, you run a real danger of never finishing it before your time passes. That being said, 54 is still too young.
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Post by Captain_EO »

It really is a shame. Miura was such a creative juggernaut of the medium, so it's devastating to see him go at the premature age of 54.
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

on the day they announced Miura's death I play the ending theme from the original anime series by Silver Fins and was pretty bummed overall, being a fan of the manga since my teens and of course a fan of the anime adaptations (even the not-so-well-animated Black Swordsman Arc). I've always seen the conclusion of the golden age arc as my preferred ending of sorts, and what follows as an extended display of Miura's artistry. He'd such a strong aesthetic influence on the dark fantasy genre, especially the excellent Dark Souls/Bloodborne games. Miura's even had influence on me and my projects, The mangaka character from my forthcoming graphic novel is a composite of Kentarou Muira and Toshio Maeda, for instance. RIP, KING.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Having met Maeda and knowing him fairly well, I'm sorta curious to see what a crossover between the two men would be. Hopefully he'll adopt Maeda's habit of getting flustered when talking about his artwork around women :lol:
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

It still doesn't feel real, tbh, especially considering his family already held a service before announcing his passing (which is totally understandable, for their own privacy, but still...). I was kinda hoping some sort of public service may be held for fans, but considering Covid is still a big problem in Japan right now, that's probably not going to happen. It's at least very heartening to see so many fans all over the world holding their own memorials, like in the FF MMO, or the tweet going around about the post-it marks left in a Barnes & Nobel...It's nice to see so many caring tributes.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Elytron Frass
Anime Fan Since: 1997

Post by Elytron Frass »

If the property itself has another chance to be adapted, what do you (all) wish to be covered? Would anyone be open to spin off or anthology manga & anime from different creators? would anyone want to see more of Berserk proper adapted? any specific arc?

my vote goes to Lost Children arc...but I would also like self contained OVA/ONA of the black swordsman arc that deals specifically with The Count aka the "Slug Baron"
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The Black Swordsman hasn't been fully adapted, i'd like to see that. For me pretty much anything after the 2017 series like the rest of the Millennium Falcon arc that wasn't adapted. Perhaps we can get some kind of closure to the Fantasia arc as well up till vol 40. My goal is to read up to that point past what the anime hasn't adapted so far.