What are you Reading?

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Re: What are you Reading?

Post by Armblessed »

Just recently finished the following:

A Drifting Life - Yoshihiro Tatsumi: Autobiographical tale about the author growing up and writing manga. A little dry here and there, but a good, solid read none-the-less.

I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow vol. 1 - Shunju Aono: An underwhelming, overweight fourty-year-old quits his corporate job to try to become a manga artist. I had heard good things about this one and the concept was interesting, but I really did not like it. Nothing really happens and the tone is both uneven and annoying. Probably wont read anymore of this one.

20th Century Boys, Vol. 3 - Naoki Urasawa: Probably dont need to introduce this one. A mysterious guy with a mysterious connection with the protagonist wants to destroy the world. I'm starting to get a little tired of this one. It feels like its definitely going somewhere but it's not doing it fast enough. There are a lot of mysteries building up but it doesn't feel like much progress is being made. I'll read more, but I'll take my time getting around to it.

Detroit Metal City, Vol. 1 - Kiminori Wakasugi A mild mannered guy is secretly and begrudingly an outlandish death-metal musician. I love this one. It's pretty much simple gags and extreme off-color humor, but its done satirically with a likable charm. I laughed out loud many times. Already looking forward to reading the next book, but am wondering just how far the author will be able to take it without the concept getting old with a quickness. Fair warning - when I said extreme off-color humor, I meant it.
kndy wrote:Currently, I am reading "Cross Game", "Slam Dunk", "Psyren", "Bleach", "Tenjo Tenge", "Naruto", "Rin-ne" and my favorite title right now is "20th Century Boys".
How is Cross Game? I liked Mitsuru Adachi's "Short Program" and have wanted to read something else from him.
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Armblessed wrote:I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow vol. 1 - Shunju Aono: An underwhelming, overweight fourty-year-old quits his corporate job to try to become a manga artist. I had heard good things about this one and the concept was interesting, but I really did not like it. Nothing really happens and the tone is both uneven and annoying. Probably wont read anymore of this one.
My local library has through volume 3, and I have read that far. I have to say, I would agree with everything you said about this one HOWEVER, it also does get more interesting as you progress in large part because of the development of the side characters. I thought the manga editor was just paying lip service/"being polite" but you find out there's a reason he keeps taking lead's submissions. And so it goes with all the characters. Mostly I'm curious how this one will end. It seems obvious that it will end with him getting his actual manga published, but as the thing progresses it's really about how he gets there and how he impacts those around him. In a very bizarre way, I think he serves as BOTH "cautionary tale" AND "inspiration" to most of the people around him, and I think that's due to the weird combination of immaturity and continuous optimism. I could totally see being both frustrated AND enamored with the guy if you knew him in real life.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

kndy wrote:Currently, I am reading "Cross Game", "Slam Dunk", "Psyren", "Bleach", "Tenjo Tenge", "Naruto", "Rin-ne" and my favorite title right now is "20th Century Boys".
How is Cross Game? I liked Mitsuru Adachi's "Short Program" and have wanted to read something else from him.[/quote]

"Cross Game" is fantastic! You definitely want to read that one!!!

You'll definitely enjoy "I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow"...only problem is whenever the author will ever continue writing it. He's like the main character...lol...But at least you get four published graphic novels for now.

If you have the chance...hope you all can find "Oishinbo"! Great manga and features stories from the very long running Japanese series....but considering its length, unfort. we'll never see manga series like that printed in the US.
Ender424
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Ender424 »

I just picked up volume 35 of Berserk. It's been ages since the last volume was released although having reread the series a bajillion times I'm pretty sure I remember where the story left off. Nonetheless I think I'll need to start from the beginning.....again! :D
kndy

Post by kndy »

Reading Slam Dunk!

Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Post by Armblessed »

I'm re-reading Genshiken in anticipation of picking up the new Genshiken Second Season series. It's a rather down to earth slice of life type story about a bunch of geeks in a college anime/manga club. Probably one of my favorite manga series from the past decade. I'm really looking forward to checking out the sequel.

I've probably already crowed about Genshiken somewhere on these forums, but I'm crowing about it all the time so I can't even remember. Apologies!
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Reading (and rediscovering) No Need for Tenchi and Ranma 1/2. Also started reading a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles manga, haha.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I'm currently reading the new Nausicaa re-release...it's been years since I've read the manga, so I'm taking my time and really savoring it. It really is a beautiful manga.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy

Post by kndy »

I finished reading Barrage #1 but I am at One Piece 65, Bleach 55, Naruto 60 as of this week.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:I'm currently reading the new Nausicaa re-release...it's been years since I've read the manga, so I'm taking my time and really savoring it. It really is a beautiful manga.
I have the original Viz manga, in which the images were reversed. Is it the same way with this new re-release? I sure hope not. If Viz released the manga to be read from right to left, I'd certainly buy it.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page