What are you Reading?

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you Reading?

Post by runesaint »

The 6th Volume of the translation of Arslaan manga arrived today, so I read that.. I really should read more. Hrm.
jdoll
Anime Fan Since: 1999

Post by jdoll »

finished junji ito's dissolving classroom this week
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I've been reading the Patlabor manga, which I'm finding extremely enjoyable. It's interesting that every Patlabor series introduces the characters differently.

I've also been reading a newer manga, Freezing. I liked the anime, and the manga is fun too. It also helps that they're being released in an omnibus format, with two volumes included per edition.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I got Toppou GP for the Kindle. I had Gerald Rathkolb from the AWO podcast tell me about this on his twitch stream the other night. This also interest me since ive been keeping up with MotoGP for 3 seasons because I found it on TV one day and it just caught my interest. I guess my interest for automotive racing goes back to my obsession with Initial D back in high school (and being honest it never went away, not when I got the arcade machine for it in my garage), so ive always been curious on other stuff out there based on automotive racing. I have some series to check out that I know off that i'll get to eventually.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Enjoying Galko-chan books 1 and 2. I was given Claymore 1-20 so have those to consume too!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

PinkAppleJam wrote:Enjoying Galko-chan books 1 and 2. I was given Claymore 1-20 so have those to consume too!
I really enjoyed Galko-chan, so I was happy to see that vol 1 covers most of the anime & from there on out its new stuff! Tho I do kinda hope they make a second season, that'd be fun.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

DKop wrote:This probably doesn't fall under the anime section, but I finally got around to reading Console Wars book when I went to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago for college spring break. It's a very informative book on the behind the scenes info between Sega and Nintendo (so far its been focusing on Sega of America and Kalinske trying to make the Genesis more marketable to the SNES at the time). I'm roughly a 5th of the way into it and found it to be very engaging and worth my interest. I still got stuff on kindle that I need to read that I'll one day get too.
I'm always interested in what happened during the early years in console wars Japan. People over here assume that companies like Nintendo give their foreign staff complete autonomy, which is seldom the case. They still have to report to the head office in Japan. I see people over here recognizing the heads of companies like Nintendo of America but when you ask them who is heading up Nintendo in Japan, I get blank looks. It's like some secret empire that no one knows anything about. I'm glad at least that some Japanese games creators are recognized though...
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

I've just caught up with Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicle. I'm very excited to see where they take the story from here with all this history and context exploration pertaining to the Gunnm Universe.

I read the other two Alita series shortly prior and am always reading a Junji Ito work of some sort (currently reading Dissolving Classroom).
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

scriptweaver wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 am I've just caught up with Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicle. I'm very excited to see where they take the story from here with all this history and context exploration pertaining to the Gunnm Universe.

I read the other two Alita series shortly prior and am always reading a Junji Ito work of some sort (currently reading Dissolving Classroom).
Hmm, wha? The Mars Chronicle actually started up?
Blah. I read all the Last Order stuff as it came out and then during the gap I stopped paying attention. Thank you for reminding me.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Picked up the first volume of Devilman Grimoire and I've really been digging it, especially all the little changes that were made to the Devilman mythology. The artwork is fantastic, and I like how they turned Miki into a literal witch, complete with pointy hat and cape!