What are you Reading?

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Re: What are you Reading?

Post by Path »

Just picked up the first few books of Rozen Maiden and Figure 17 at a thrift shop. Not sure which one to start first.
Sgirl
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Sgirl »

usamimi wrote:Yesterday I was surprised to discover that I got a copy of DMP's "Atomcat". I know the Unico Kickstarter had tiers for Atomcat after reaching one of their goals, but I never paid into any of them...so I definitely wasn't expecting a copy. (Unless everyone who got a physical copy of Unico also got Atomcat?) The only other thing I could think of was maybe they sent me one as a partial "sorry" for that misprinted Unico I got at first, but it seems like almost everyone I've talked to who also got a physical copy of Unico also magically got a copy of Atomcat...

Regardless of that, it's a super cute book. I don't think I'd heard of Atomcat until this Kickstar, actually.
They sent out a message saying they accidentally sent it to everyone. Oops.

I did the KS too - and have enjoyed every book I have received thus far.

Current manga I'm buying/reading: Kenshin Restoration, Bride Story, Tale of Saiunkoku, Bakuman, YOtsubato, Blue Exorcist, Earl and Fairy, bride of the Water God, Soulless, and SKIP BEAAAAAT.
CUrrent manga I'm reading via SHonen Jump: Naruto, Bleach, Blue Exo and Cross Game. To be honest, I'm annoyed they're still a week behind with a lot of their titles... I really want to support legitimate digital manga, but if they can't get ahead of the scanslators, then stop pretending you're publishing simultaneously
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I got that message! Heh...I bet whoever was in charge of mailing packages got a talking to after that. :lol:

I don't really read any weekly titles anymore, so I can't really say anything about Viz's releases...but honestly, most of the scanlations I remember reading for those titles were kind of crappy. I'd be more than willing to wait a few days longer for something official that looked nicer. (One of the reasons I'd rather watch Crunchyroll than download fansubs anymore.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I've been reading Sorcerer Hunters. I love Rei Omishi's art! :3
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ah, I love that series! I'm still annoyed to this day that TP didn't finish re-releasing the non-flipped versions...my set will forever be miss-matched. :x
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:ah, I love that series! I'm still annoyed to this day that TP didn't finish re-releasing the non-flipped versions...my set will forever be miss-matched. :x
Yeah. :( The non-flipped versions are so much prettier too! I started collecting the white cover ones (since that's the ones I used to borrow from my friend all the time) and when I saw the non-flipped nicer cover ones I was like "Ohhh I should get those!" but not completed...awman!
animusubi
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:
usamimi wrote:ah, I love that series! I'm still annoyed to this day that TP didn't finish re-releasing the non-flipped versions...my set will forever be miss-matched. :x
Yeah. :( The non-flipped versions are so much prettier too! I started collecting the white cover ones (since that's the ones I used to borrow from my friend all the time) and when I saw the non-flipped nicer cover ones I was like "Ohhh I should get those!" but not completed...awman!
I had never bought the white ones because they were flipped and that always bugged me...then I found a guy on eBay selling a huge lot of ones I hadn't seen before--I hadn't even heard they'd re-released them! So I assumed the lot I was getting was the whole series...it wasn't until I read them and realized the last like 3 vols were missing and were never released in that format. :cry: On the plus side, the old white ones are easy to find and really cheap, at least...
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:
ryoran wrote:
I had never bought the white ones because they were flipped and that always bugged me...then I found a guy on eBay selling a huge lot of ones I hadn't seen before--I hadn't even heard they'd re-released them! So I assumed the lot I was getting was the whole series...it wasn't until I read them and realized the last like 3 vols were missing and were never released in that format. :cry: On the plus side, the old white ones are easy to find and really cheap, at least...
Yeah so far I have 3 volumes in the middle, and the last 4 volumes, and I got each of them for $1! Half Price Books always has them. But I've never seen the re-releases there. I'll probably get those too, even if it isn't finished, since the white ones would probably fall apart more with alot of reading usage.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I got lucky--the guy selling the rereleases started the bidding REALLY low on the whole lot, so I paid a grand total of like $12 for the whole 10 book lot (with shipping!) I was surprised no one outbid me, but I guess Sorcerer Hunters is one of those series that's getting old and forgotten, too. :/
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I saw the Azumanga Daioh omnibus #1 cheap on Amazon used..so I picked one up. Fun manga! Noticed they are four panel vertical strips. Does anyone own the Genshiken omnibus. Thinking of purchasing those.