Ranma 1/2 Article - Read manga for the first time.

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Ranma 1/2 Article - Read manga for the first time.

Post by Animusubi »

http://amcdadecomics.tumblr.com/post/37 ... /ranma-1-2

Found this little entry interesting. Actually when I had first gotten into Ranma 1/2, I had shown all my non-anime friends the comics and anime for the first time, and many of them got into it very quick and easily. There's something about this series that does this with people.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Ranma 1/2 Article - Read manga for the first time.

Post by greg »

I liked the Ranma manga way more than the anime. It seems that when the manga wants to be serious, it's serious. iWhen it's funny, it's hilarious. When the anime got serious, they always threw in something goofy right away that wasn't in the manga. It's like they were trying hard to make sure the show didn't get too dramatic or something. The first season was done well, and it was a nice idea to bring Shampoo in earlier into the storyline than the manga did. The opening and ending music was great, especially after the first season. Unfortunately, I never got around to finishing the Viz manga past volume 20 or so, and I had to make some tough choices on what I wanted to take with me when I moved to Japan at the beginning of this year. I decided to sell off my entire collection at the used bookstore, along with Inu Yasha and some other titles.

The art style in the Ranma OVAs was not cute. I really did not care for it at all. The same goes for the movies. I don't know why they changed the art style so much for the OVAs/movies like that.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

I like the OAVs and Movies style and the OAV style influenced me the most in art. But I think the One Grew Over the Kuno's Nest/Phoenix story is when I absolutely didn't like it. Then again, I feel the same way about the manga's style, I don't Takahashi's later style where the characters were longer and skinnier (which the OAVs also did). Nakajima's style looks so much different later on than in the beginning, looking at my settei. I definitely don't like them stand alone on these character sheets compared to the older look, but when animated I don't mind.

One of the reasons the first season was so good animation-wise, is that Masako Goto was the animation director for a majority of the season. She was also a major art director in the Kimagure Orange Road anime (and when I was young I was drawn to KOR for that reason). However, when the 2nd season was thought to be cancelled, she left the team, which was a real loss, I wish she could have stayed around because she's certainly my favorite of the directors. Atsuko Nakajima's character designs are still some of my favorite though, and I'm glad she was chosen for the anime.

I do not like the anime over the manga, or vice versa. I pretty much enjoy both and both have their ups and downs to me. I've watched alot of Ranma...I don't particularly remember any episodes adding more humorous scenes to otherwise serious situations. But there are episodes I don't like that they changed too much, such as the Cold Competition story in the snowy mountains, where in the manga it was originally them at the beach. I got into the anime before I read the manga, so maybe because of it I was open to both, and to be honest, I'm not sure I would've liked the manga as much without it.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

What about Takahashi's other stuff like Urusei Yatsura or Mermaid's Forest?

You also like this stuff, no?

Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

_D_ wrote:What about Takahashi's other stuff like Urusei Yatsura or Mermaid's Forest?
I have yet to actually read all of UY, and most of my experience with it comes in anime form. So I have never really recommended it to any first time manga readers. I think Mermaid's Forest would have been a good first time manga for people though, I feel like it is one of Takahashi's more underappreciated series, and I liked the dark themes in it.
animusubi
twitter | instagram