J-Manga to close in May

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

J-Manga to close in May

Post by usamimi »

http://www.kuriousity.ca/2013/03/jmanga ... perations/

I had been watching J-Manga on Twitter for a long time, hoping that they would eventually start allowing people to download manga they purchased, or to at least have manga viewable on things like cell phones, but no...I signed up with a promotion deal and got a bunch of free "points" to use (another downfall...you had to buy points to "buy" manga). I bought a couple of chapters of various things, and while the manga itself was good, the translation quality wasn't the best it could've been.

I am really surprised, however, that it's closing after barely 2 years--and so abruptly, too. It makes me wonder why they decided to close (maybe sponsors pulled out suddenly, after not seeing the profits they wanted?) At least people will be getting some sort of refund for unused credits in the form of Amazon gift cards...but it sucks that all the manga people "bought" there will be disappearing, since you can't physically download them. I hope this'll be a lesson to anyone else who tries to do a digital manga service, at least...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*