Japan’s Top Manga Artists Celebrate 10 Years of Naruto

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Japan’s Top Manga Artists Celebrate 10 Years of Naruto

Post by kndy »

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Japan’s Top Manga Artists Celebrate 10 Years of Naruto

Post by usamimi »

Awww, that Akira Toriyama one is adorable!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I actually really love seeing other manga artists do characters from other series. I wish they'd make some of them into posters or artbooks, because I think they're the most fun to look at. Shows what other creators' favorite characters are too.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

In the past, some creators have done their own Doujinshi with other characters. I thought Sonoda said he did that many years ago. Would be fun to ask for a sketch from any particular artist of the character he most likes from someone else's creations. I wonder if they would do it and just not sign their name?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I know sometimes that happens...I have a Kosuke Fujishima artbook I bought years ago where he drew lots of characters from other creators. (And apparently he's got another one that's more recent that I didn't know about! Oooooh~)

They might not be more common because of copyright red-tape? Or maybe no one thinks there's a good market for em? I know that sometimes Arina Tanemura posts doodles she does of other people's characters to her twitter (her Sailor Moon ones were adorable!), so maybe some artists just save em for that kind of thing or doujinshi/sketchbooks they might sell at appearances/conventions?
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

usamimi wrote:I know sometimes that happens...I have a Kosuke Fujishima artbook I bought years ago where he drew lots of characters from other creators. (And apparently he's got another one that's more recent that I didn't know about! Oooooh~)
I have that SAME first book, and ALSO did not know about the second one... the Yoko is really cute. I should also go scan a splash page from one of my Afternoons. There is a short they did that is apparently a collaboration between all the people that were in Afternoon at the time. It's especially notable (to me) because it has a splash page with Skuld as drawn by all the artists (and maybe even some that weren't in the magazine at the time).
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

oh wow, that sounds really neat! I'd love to see that, too. :D