Digital Manga Publishing to release ALL of Tezuka's work

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Digital Manga Publishing to release ALL of Tezuka's work

Post by usamimi »

DMP announced at AX13 that they're teaming up with Tezuka Pro Team Japan to bring Tezuka's entire library of work via digital release to North America: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -n-america

They mention that it'd be entirely possible to do more Kickstarters for physical copies of titles, too. Still, this is big news! I'm hoping this means a digital re-release of the "Phoenix" series, since I was only ever able to read maybe 3 vols of it before it went out of print (and started going for ridiculously high prices on the second-hand market :cry: )
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Digital Manga Publishing to release ALL of Tezuka's work

Post by _D_ »

This should be very interesting. He is under represented here in North America but was a huge influence. When they mean all, I dunno though since lots of his stuff was never completed.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:This should be very interesting. He is under represented here in North America but was a huge influence. When they mean all, I dunno though since lots of his stuff was never completed.
Well, they said on Twitter they intend to release his entire available catalog, but they're still hammering out the details, so...who knows?
Sgirl
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Sgirl »

So does that shut down the likelihood that anyone else will do kickstarters/publish print for the foreseeable future? Or is it pretty much guaranteed all entities will have to cooperate with Digital Manga? (IN which case, that probably complicates things.)

All the Tezuka kickstarters have been pretty quick to hit goal, so it's a great move by DMP but at the same time, I'm not too fond of digital manga's interface and delivery methods. I almost prefer print.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Sgirl wrote:So does that shut down the likelihood that anyone else will do kickstarters/publish print for the foreseeable future? Or is it pretty much guaranteed all entities will have to cooperate with Digital Manga? (IN which case, that probably complicates things.)

All the Tezuka kickstarters have been pretty quick to hit goal, so it's a great move by DMP but at the same time, I'm not too fond of digital manga's interface and delivery methods. I almost prefer print.
It's uncertain right now. All DMP's said when people have asked questions like this is that they're "still working out all the details", basically. Like I said before, they said it's still likely that they could do Kickstarters for physical copies of more popular titles, so physical releases of some books is still entirely possible. I think Tezuka Pro in Japan are just weary about sales, which is why they're starting out with just digital. (I mean, look at Verticle's Tezuka titles--Black Jack is one of the BEST Tezuka series and it's already out of print because they weren't selling all that well.) If there are other companies with current print-rights for Tezuka titles, I assume they keep print-rights and DMP will have digital-only rights? Maybe they'll work together with those who have print-rights & they'll share a cut of it? It's all kind of unclear at the moment, so I assume that's something they're working on.