Manga Release News

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Manga Release News

Post by Animusubi »

I figured I would start a new general topic for any older series manga news! :)

Starting with this one! WOO! RANMA 1/2 IS FINALLY GETTING REPRINTED, RIGHT-TO-LEFT, and in a two-volume omnibus release!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Manga Release News

Post by usamimi »

FREAKING FINALLY!! Seriously, this took Viz WAY too long. I dunno if it's because they had to convince Takehashi to let them do it, or if they just didn't think it was gonna sell, but whatever the reason...I'm glad they're finally getting around to it.

I'm a little annoyed they made this announcement buried underneath a bunch of other announcements, though, because of course none of the news sites are making this a big deal. To me, though, this is A HUGE DEAL! This was like, Viz's flagship manga title for YEARS, and they're only just NOW releasing it unflopped?! They released Maison Ikkoku unflopped before Ranma. D: (Well, I guess to be fair, MI is a lot shorter than Ranma...but at the same time, I can't see how it would take longer to edit, since they've already translated it and this time they won't have to go back and cover up all the Japanese sound effects...unless they really want to, but I don't see why they would. :|a )
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:FREAKING FINALLY!! Seriously, this took Viz WAY too long. I dunno if it's because they had to convince Takehashi to let them do it, or if they just didn't think it was gonna sell, but whatever the reason...I'm glad they're finally getting around to it.

I'm a little annoyed they made this announcement buried underneath a bunch of other announcements, though, because of course none of the news sites are making this a big deal. To me, though, this is A HUGE DEAL! This was like, Viz's flagship manga title for YEARS, and they're only just NOW releasing it unflopped?! They released Maison Ikkoku unflopped before Ranma. D: (Well, I guess to be fair, MI is a lot shorter than Ranma...but at the same time, I can't see how it would take longer to edit, since they've already translated it and this time they won't have to go back and cover up all the Japanese sound effects...unless they really want to, but I don't see why they would. :|a )
I know right?! I want to start a campaign to get people to buy this, in hopes it'll show Viz the market is still interested in more Ranma 1/2 (because I want those dang blu-rays). I know I'm gonna buy at least one for myself, and several for my friends. And I'll be pre-ordering it for the first time! I haven't preordered a manga since like...I dunno, 12 years. Very excited.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I'm definitely going to try to pre-order it, too. The last manga I pre-ordered was Sailor Moon & Sailor V, I think, haha. XD Sailor Moon & Ranma...ah, 2 of my biggest obsessions back in the day. <3
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Just picked up the new Shigeru Mizuki KITARO manga from D&Q. It's a thing of beauty.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:Just picked up the new Shigeru Mizuki KITARO manga from D&Q. It's a thing of beauty.
I really want to get this. Kitaro! <333

Oh, I posted about this on the Anime Nostalgia Tumblr, but Doraemon is going to be getting an English (and other languages!) e-release: http://mangacomicsmanga.com/sdcc-2013-k ... n-english/
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

ryoran wrote:I figured I would start a new general topic for any older series manga news! :)

Starting with this one! WOO! RANMA 1/2 IS FINALLY GETTING REPRINTED, RIGHT-TO-LEFT, and in a two-volume omnibus release!
WOW. It's about time! Will the Japanese text be left untouched as well? The original seemed to swing both ways. At first, the dojo names and every Japanese sign was redone in English, and then other times it was left intact. I guess it's always spotty. Depending on who was in charge of a certain manga, Tokyo Pop usually did a good job at leaving the pictures and onomatopoeia alone and squeezing footnotes where they could to translate stuff. The example that comes to mind first is the great job they did on the Ai Yori Aoshi manga translation.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

To my knowledge, viz hasn't really released any info other than they're releasing it. I assume they'll be leaving the sound effects and signs intact, like their re-release of Maison Ikkoku? I mean, that would make sense anyway (and less work for them, lol.) So unless they say otherwise, that's what I'm gonna assume, at least.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Viz released their cover art for the first new Ranma omnibus! http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/5 ... 1st-volume

It's also up for pre-order on Amazon, too, less than $12! I'm gonna try to pre-order it as soon as I can.

Also, the Amazon description says that this version will be "true to it's original format", so greg I think that confirms that the sound effects and signs will most likely be kept in Japanese. :D (YAY)
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

That's exciting! I hope if the manga is getting this treatment, the anime will too.
animusubi
twitter | instagram