classic manga being re-issued in Japan

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: classic manga being re-issued in Japan

Post by Animusubi »

There's another I saw recently at B&N, Young Miss Holmes, which seemed really cute and interesting! I keep meaning to pick it up when I have the chance.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:Oh gosh, if someone released Orange Road here I would weep tears of joy. ;___;
Yes, that would definitely be worth getting in English. My Japanese level is at the point where I can read KOR and understand it, with the help of a dictionary or my Kanji dictionary on my DS. It can get troublesome when the dialogue becomes complex, but since this is a whimsical junior high school romance comedy, that doesn't happen all that much.

About To Terra, I bought that big manga in English a few years ago, but I have not yet read it. Did they ever release more than just that one book, or is that all there is to the series?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote: About To Terra, I bought that big manga in English a few years ago, but I have not yet read it. Did they ever release more than just that one book, or is that all there is to the series?
Nope, there's 2 more vols, it's 3 vols all together! :3
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Today I spotted The Rose of Versailles and Kinniku Man at 7-11.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

The Rose of Versailles!! <3
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

So I follow Vertical Publishing and they gave a heads up recently that Black Jack will be going out of print. This makes me sad because A. It's not even that old (I believe they started translating it in 2010) and B. It's an amazing series, esp. considering how old it is. Most of the series is still easily found except for vols 9 & 10 for some reason...if you've been thinking about getting it, now would be a good time before more of them become scarce.
greg

Post by greg »

There's a book I bought on Amazon called 13 Secrets For Speaking Fluent Japanese. One chapter introduces the concept of reading original Japanese manga, and it has a story from Black Jack and provides translated vocabulary words and such. It was a fun read.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Patlabor is being re-released! I saw it recently in omnibus form. My wife really enjoys Patlabor, and she's read the first 5 or so manga. I was disappointed when Viz dropped this series after only 2 graphic novels. Maybe I'll buy the Japanese manga again. The level of Japanese is a bit more of a challenge for me than KOR though, I am sure.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

greg wrote:There's a book I bought on Amazon called 13 Secrets For Speaking Fluent Japanese. One chapter introduces the concept of reading original Japanese manga, and it has a story from Black Jack and provides translated vocabulary words and such. It was a fun read.
Maybe I should give it a go again. Have the Rosetts Stone and Pimsleur discs as well as cassette and CD courses for Japanese and many other languages but have never been effective with any method. Just not a linguist...

I still have my Urusei Yatsura and Sasuga no Sarutobi English readers from long ago that have dual language Japanese and English text and pronouncitation but even those were never any good for me. Looks like English is it for me...
greg

Post by greg »

Recent covenience store manga reissue omnibus finds are Galaxy Express 999, Lupin the 3rd (it doesn't appear to be the very original stuff, though), Captain Harlock (featuring images from the new movie I have yet to see), and interestingly, UY and Ranma are being released in combined omnibus volumes. I took a picture of this and I'll need to yank it off my cell phone camera and upload it to my Flickr photostream.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page