Digital Manga to release Kimagure Orange Road emanga!

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Digital Manga to release Kimagure Orange Road emanga!

Post by usamimi »

https://www.emanga.com/upcoming

First volume slated for April 4th, looks like! I know it's not a physical release, but hey--it's better than nothing. Hopefully they'll release more than just vol 1 like the last emanga publisher did, BUT since it's Digital Manga Inc I have a LOT more faith in them. I still have a bunch of emanga gifcodes from the contest I won on twitter a while back so I am DEFINITELY gonna be getting that first volume.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Digital Manga to release Kimagure Orange Road emanga!

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

This is FANTASTIC news!!! :D

I'll be picking this up the day it's available; I really hope that it does well enough for the entire series to be released.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I'd be tempted to get this if it was a physical release but digital only is a hard sell.

What I'm really hoping is for someone to release this on DVD again. Or on BluRay.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Well, at this point, I'll take what I can get! Most manga licensors are hesitant to release anything more than 5 volumes physically nowadays because people just don't buy as much manga as they used to. Digital manga seems to be a much less risky venture, thus why Digital Manga Inc does a LOT more emanga now than they used to...and their titles seem to sell fairly decently. With almost all the major manga companies having digital departments now, it's growing a lot more common than it once was. (Even Crunchyroll has digital manga to read now!)

Even though I know scanlations exist for the KOR manga, I'll gladly get the official digital release to prove to DMI that people ARE interested in the series. Like I said, if it's popular enough maybe they'd consider doing a physical release someday...it's probably a little unlikely, but hey--it could happen!

I'd love it if someone re-released the anime, too! But since it's older, I dunno...I suppose Discotek or The Right Stuf's labels would be the two companies that come to mind with an older title. If one of them put it out, that'd be great! I think KOR would definitely appeal to a younger fan of newer shows, too, since the premise is basically a romantic comedy and that seems to be the "hip" thing to do lately, right? :lol:
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

OMG amazing! Thanks for the share!

I applied to a last-month's ad for freelance lettering work, but I have yet to hear back from DMP :(
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

PinkAppleJam wrote:OMG amazing! Thanks for the share!

I applied to a last-month's ad for freelance lettering work, but I have yet to hear back from DMP :(
Aww, don't feel bad...I've had friends who've worked on stuff of theirs before who've been having trouble getting any work there again lately. I guess more people are applying now than before? Sounds like stiff competition D:
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

danth wrote:I'd be tempted to get this if it was a physical release but digital only is a hard sell.
I agree about wanting a physical release, but maybe people like us are slowly (or rapidly?) becoming a minority. I think any English release of KOR will be fantastic, but I am still trying to remain motivated to continue reading the original Japanese manga set I own.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, digital manga really is gaining a lot of ground lately. Crunchyroll already has a wide selection of digital manga to read now, Viz is releasing Shonen Jump digitally every week now from what I hear, and even Kodansha is doing more digital stuff. Even Japanese publishers are trying to get in on digital stuff: Comic-Walker has parts of Gundam The Origin and Evangelion up for free to read in both Japanese AND English: http://comic-walker.com/en/
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Although I'd love to see a physical release of Kimagure Orange Road in English, I'm enjoying this digital version so far.

It's nice to finally read the manga, the anime was the only way I had experienced the series before this release.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

The only way I could see myself getting into digital manga is if I could display it on some sort of full-color Kindle or something. I imagine these can be viewed with iPads and such, but that introduces the problem of just staring at yet another video screen. Can these things be looked at on a Kindle? I don't own one, so I don't even know if they have touchscreen zoom functions and such.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page