Digital Manga to release Kimagure Orange Road emanga!

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Digital Manga to release Kimagure Orange Road emanga!

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:The only way I could see myself getting into digital manga is if I could display it on some sort of full-color Kindle or something. I imagine these can be viewed with iPads and such, but that introduces the problem of just staring at yet another video screen. Can these things be looked at on a Kindle? I don't own one, so I don't even know if they have touchscreen zoom functions and such.
Kindle Fire has touch screen functions--it's basically like an ipad. And according to eManga's FAQ, their manga is compatible with pretty much any device, it looks like: https://www.emanga.com/faq They seem to be very good at trying to make it widely available for everyone.

Now that I've read all of the first volume, though, I have to say I'm a little disappointed: DMP basically just bought the old translation from that company that tried releasing it via Facebook a while back...so the translation is riddled with incorrect grammar and weird translation ideas (ie melon pan is "melon with bread"??). This really disappointed me because I figured they'd at least FIX THESE before re-releasing them, but nope. They literally just formatted it into their various formats and didn't touch it. -__- I'll still buy it because I want them to keep releasing it even after they reach the end of whatever volumes the old Facebook translators did (I think it was 3? 4?), but thankfully I have a bunch of emanga credits so it's not like I'm spending REAL money on it right now at least :P
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

It looks like they have ePub and PDF formats, so it should work on pretty much any advanced eInk device (since those are the ones that are "like paper" and less like "staring at a screen"). I assume that'd be your preference if necessary, greg? :)

(I've gotten used to manga on my tablet, it's the main thing I bought it for)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Heero wrote:It looks like they have ePub and PDF formats, so it should work on pretty much any advanced eInk device (since those are the ones that are "like paper" and less like "staring at a screen"). I assume that'd be your preference if necessary, greg? :)
Yes! Looking at paper vs looking at a video screen are very different.
usamimi wrote:Now that I've read all of the first volume, though, I have to say I'm a little disappointed: DMP basically just bought the old translation from that company that tried releasing it via Facebook a while back...so the translation is riddled with incorrect grammar and weird translation ideas (ie melon pan is "melon with bread"??). This really disappointed me because I figured they'd at least FIX THESE before re-releasing them, but nope. They literally just formatted it into their various formats and didn't touch it.
Here's your Japanese word for the day: chuutohampa. It means "half-assed, shoddy, lazy." I hate it when companies do that sort of thing. It's good that they've released the manga, but is there a way to provide feedback? Perhaps they can improve in later volumes. "Melon with bread" is pretty stupid indeed.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I've tweeted at them with complaints, I think they have an email address you can send comments to as well, I've been meaning to do that, too. There's even really bad English grammar mistakes in there, too--I assume the people who translated it first weren't that great at English--that anyone would've been like "oh, that's bad, lets fix that"....but nope, no attempt to at all. :/ Really, really disappointing. I hope they get off their asses and attempt to fix the next one.
greg

Post by greg »

Crap, that is pretty lazy. I'm not even really fluent in Japanese or anything, and I find the level of langauge used in the KOR manga to be pretty easy to understand. I could probably do a better job translating that manga than these guys can. I'd just need help with some slang terms and such, of which there isn't much of. Some of it is rather dated, Showa/'80s type slang and it goes over my head.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

On the plus side, I heard one of the eManga editors was saying on Twitter they'll be working on the next 2 volumes themselves, so that's a relief...I really hope they'll do a better job than the last guys did, it was basically lame scanlation quality translations. :/
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Vol 3 is now up! https://www.emanga.com/detail?itemid=15 ... %2Flibrary

I already picked it up and flipping through the first chapter, it looks better than the previous releases. From this issue forward, these will be entirely translated and edited by them, so it's a definite step up from the shoddy work in vol 1 and 2. (I just REALLY, REALLY wish they'd go back and fix the first 2...they're just so awful and sloppy. :( Orange Road deserves more than that!)
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah, since it's digital only, there's no reason not to go back and fix the sloppy work. Future sales would depend on it. I guess that's one advantage over printed books.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page