Mamoru Nagano/Five Star Stories

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Mamoru Nagano/Five Star Stories

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Who is ready here for the XIII Volume of The Five Star Stories?

Will Gothicmade ever get a Blu Ray release?

Will the saga ever end?

Will we see Berlin drawn by Nagano?

What's your favorite Nagano mecha?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Mamoru Nagano/Five Star Stories

Post by greg »

I remember watching the fansub of the first OVA way back in 1994 or so. It's hard to believe that the story is still slowly going. All I remember is how quirky the setting and such were, and how over-the-top the mecha seemed to be.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I will always think of Five Star Stories as these decent sized model kits with absolutely gorgeous art work on them. I recently checked out that OAV for the first time and while I liked it enough, I'm just not sold enough on it to really get into the manga. I'd probably check out an art book or if there's something like a NewType 100% book going over the mecha but I'm not sure about getting into the story at this point.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:I remember watching the fansub of the first OVA way back in 1994 or so. It's hard to believe that the story is still slowly going. All I remember is how quirky the setting and such were, and how over-the-top the mecha seemed to be.
Man, I keep forgetting that it IS still going, slowly but surely. I've only ever seen the OVA, either, but I've heard the manga's beautiful.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I heard he got into this manga because he was doing another mech prior to this series and wanted more creative freedom in his own work. I believe he does this manga on his own without any assistance which is why (along with Berserk) is why it takes a long time to do.
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

He did Gothicmade in 2010, of which nothing is known about (other than the animation being pretty disappointing). That said, it does seem that the main characters managed to get to the top of Newtype's ranking, so there's that we know of, at least. And that there was some sort of retcon Nagano did involving both universes and the designs.