Gauging interest for Legend of The Galactic Heroes novels

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Re: Gauging interest for Legend of The Galactic Heroes novels

Post by Guyver I »

Just as a follow-up to the original topic of the thread - has anyone read the two novels released thus far, and what did you think?

I just finished the second one the other day, and it made me want to go watch my dvds of the show, at least up to the point of where the books stop; since it's probably been about a decade since I watched the show, I'd rather read the novel version of events before watching the corresponding episodes again.

Oh, and I'll take this moment to say hello again to all! I haven't been on for a little bit, with some writing projects and convention talks going on, and then when I had a chance to come back, the forum had moved! Great new site; love the images in the title banner!
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

From what I've seen the reviews so far for both books have been pretty positive! I keep meaning to pick em up but still haven't gotten around to it lol.

Great to see you back! No worries, I think we all know that life happens :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Guyver I

Post by Guyver I »

Yeah, I thought they were absolutely great. Not only the science fiction and narrative aspects, but the deep historical background the author created for this world really draws you in, particularly the social and political history involved. I sincerely hope these sell well enough to warrant the remaining volumes being released, stateside.

The imprint that released this series, Haika Soru, has a good amount of other Japanese sf titles, some that I've heard of before and are considered classics over there, that sound amazing - it seems with these titles, and a few released by other companies, that Japanese sf is going to be appearing here in the stateside for the first time on a large scale, which is exciting!

And thanks for the welcome back! It's been a bit nutty; wrote a few things, including a new book on some local history here in Richmond, and have been doing a talk and/or panel at least twice a month since January, including a panel at SDCC 2016! I can't remember if I took any anime-centric pics there, but if so, I'll be sure to upload them somewhere here!
Nathan Vernon Madison

runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

To follow up on this, I pre-ordered them last year and have read the first two and am waiting on the third. I very much enjoy them.. I also found it fascinating to see what from the oav were right out of the book and what was added. I am looking forward to the third book arriving soon... but I am also concerned that there is no movement on 4 or anything after that. I e-mailed them a while back and they could not say IF they were going to do volume 4, much less when it might be.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Oooh that is a bit worrying. I hope the novels are doing well enough that they can continue! I've heard that the fans who have been reading them are enjoying them a lot.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Yeah, I agree. I'm still near the end of the first book (and guess I need to order book 3).
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

Just passing along the information... I received book 3 in the mail the other day, and inside the back cover it says that the next (4th) book will come out in summer of 2017. Vague, but some information is better than none.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

That's awesome!! Thanks for the head's up!
Guyver I

Post by Guyver I »

Yeah! I picked up my copy the other day, and I was really happy to see that notice about the fourth book. I was under the impression that they would get the series in bulk, three or so volumes at a time, so I'm thinking that hopefully we have several more volumes on the way!
Nathan Vernon Madison

runesaint

Post by runesaint »

I finished the third one the other day... I think the thing about them that impresses me the most is how -close- the anime matched the books. Considering as well that some of the episodes contained scenes from the side stories...
I suppose that I am just used to adaptions that are so different that accurate adaptions surprise me.