What are you Playing?

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Re: What are you Playing?

Post by Char Aznable »

Lately, my game time is divided up between Rise of the Tomb Raider and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus. Picked up Senran Kagura on sale around Xmas, having never played any of the previous titles, to which I believe there are quite a few. It's actually better than I expected (my expectations were low). Certainly not the kind of game I could play for hours on end, but fun to play here and there.
Scott
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Scott »

Currently playing Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS.
Since they added a camera function to this version, I'm cataloging the bestiary with pictures of the monsters on the field.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

After playing the lackluster Dragon Ball Xenoverse game, I felt the need to play a better DBZ title. so I re-purchased Raging Blast 2 for the PS3. I forgot how fun the game was, and there's still some people who play online--though waiting for a match takes a bit of time. I find this game to be one of the better DBZ entries, though nothing compares to Budokai Tenkaichi 3, especially with that amazing character roster. BT3 had so many fighters to chose from, including kid Goku, Master Roshi, Lord Slug, Dr. Wheelo, Garlic Jr...the list was practically endless. I love that they even threw in some "off" characters, like kid Chi-Chi, King Cold, and Nam.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I finished Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter recently. So I've played every "Trails" game released in english thus far, including the PS3-PSVita Trails of Cold Steel games. Very cool franchise with great characters and great localizations, but every game is a huge time sink. But if you're looking for a new JRPG franchise to get into, I can't think of any one better currently.

I've got a bunch of old PC games bought from GOG I might start getting into, if I ever have the time to waste. I really have slowed down my game playing in the past few months, for various reasons. You have to be careful not to waste too much of your time on these time sinks when you can be more productive doing more progressive things to further your own life. Video games can be really addictive but they've become so much a part of people's lives these days that I wonder if it might not be holding some of us down from doing more active things like writing, exercising/playing sports, drawing, reading, or having a social life. I don't know if racing home after work/school and just playing games for 5 hours until you go to bed is the best use of our time...and I know for a lot of people this is their daily schedule. So yeah, more and more I tend to feel more guilty and embarrassed rather than proud whenever I see that I sank 60+ hours in 1-2 months on a single game.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I got Persona 5 shortly after it was FINALLY released. I haven't played a Persona game since the one for PSX, which I don't remember much....so this is the first "modern" Persona I've tried. There's a few things I wish were different, but on the whole I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm also glad they have the Japanese voice track as a DLC because I've heard the English version is only so-so.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj

Post by llj »

Try Persona 4 if you have the time, that was THE game that made the franchise famous. It had a unique mix of an endearing cast of characters, a fun turn based battle system, and a whodunnit mystery novel-style plot, not to mention a ton of secrets to discover.

Persona 3 had some acclaim as well but Persona 4 refined a lot of what made P3 great and included a more involved cast of characters.

I haven't tried Persona 5 yet. I've seen some complaints online about its rushed localization leading to some stilted dialogue. Persona 4 had one of the wittiest english localizations in its day, so I can understand some disappointment for anything less.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I guess at this point I'm SO used to stilted game localizations that it barely phases me...i think it also helps that the Japanese vocal tracks being available I can kinda pick out the difference in what they're saying & the translation & between the two I get what's going on.

It does suck that they rushed it, but considering how many times the game got delayed here I can kinda understand why they wanted to get it out ASAP. Still, hopefully they learned from this & will take better care for the next translated game they do.

I have heard good things about 3 & 4. I might pick up one or the other when I finish this one. The main reason I wanted it was that I love the "phantom thief" story (anything with masked thieves I'm SO HERE FOR lol I just love that dumb stereotype in anime/manga so much for some reason) & the stylish designs of the menus & combat system. The soundtrack is also REALLY good (it kinda reminds me of the more chill Yoko Kanno tracks of Cowboy Bebop). Oh! And the opening was directed by Sayo Yamamoto, who I love. So everything I saw about it really spoke to me lol. I have seen some people say they don't like it as much as previous games, so maybe it really does depend on what your tastes are like xD
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Im still trying to beat P3 and 4, and I even preordered 4 back in 2008. I technically have all the persona games (1 (one copy on PSX and the other on PSP), 3 and 4 on physical, 2 is on my PSN) so eventually I need to sit down and play all of them. I plan on getting a PS4 this summer and thats when i'll get P5.
llj

Post by llj »

After my soapbox speech about JRPG time sinks a few posts above, I do have to warn people that each Persona game I've played easily tops over 80 hours per just playing casually and not trying to do everything.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:After my soapbox speech about JRPG time sinks a few posts above, I do have to warn people that each Persona game I've played easily tops over 80 hours per just playing casually and not trying to do everything.
Oh yes....i know this game will def take a while xD lol