The show off your video games stuff thread

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The show off your video games stuff thread

Post by usamimi »

Huh, I didn't know that! Explains why I haven't heard her in anything in years, then, lol. XD

Yeah, I think the first thing I ever heard Yokoyama in was Tenchi Muyo!...I even had that video tape Pioneer released of her concert around that time, lol.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:I preordered that console in December of 2000. Then after I got it, Sega announced that they would be abandoning the console. I was very sad. Then all of the sudden, Dreamcasts were scarce because everyone was buying them up for some reason. However, games were still being made, and Sakura Taisen 3 came out that March or April. I attended the Tokyo Game Show in 2001, and Chisa Yokoyama and several of the other voice actors were there to promote Sakura Taisen 4.

That was the only time I ever encountered any Japanese seiyuu. At the Summer Wonderfest, there was some seiyuu/idol from some anime giving a concert, and all of the otaku had their dumb glow sticks and were waving them in unison. I didn't know who she was, nor did I care.
Nice!!! I actually still use the Dreamcast as it's one of the best NES and Sega Master Rom players out there...lol...

I was in Japan for the Dreamcast launch but I was a very late adopter... By the time I got into it....they ended the Dreamcast a year later...

Unfortunately, I don't own any early Sakura Taisen games. In fact, I think I only own one... and it's the release for the PS2 from a few years ago...

Unfortunately, I sold my import SNES games back in my college years. I got into a fender bender and had to find a way to pay the guy asap before he would report it to insurance. And the only thing I could think of that I could sell was my video games. Sucky thing was I don't think I got much from it...but of the imports that I missed the most was the second and third Ranma 1/2 fighting games. The third one the most as I can remember traveling just to buy that game for like $80 or $90 I think.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

kndy wrote:I actually still use the Dreamcast as it's one of the best NES and Sega Master Rom players out there...lol...
Huh. I wasn't aware of that. I have a first-gen Xbox that I had my friend hack for me. I bought a larger IDE hard drive and had him install tons of roms on it. It emulates NES, SNES, SMS, Genesis, Neo Geo, and lots of other stuff like arcade games excellently.
kndy wrote:Unfortunately, I don't own any early Sakura Taisen games. In fact, I think I only own one... and it's the release for the PS2 from a few years ago...
If I had a US PS2, I would have bought that game. It retained the Japanese voice acting, even! Alas, I only have a JP PS2. The Sakura Taisen translations by a guy who went by Kayama/Lando back in the '90s are a great help, and they work as a language study guide too, especially the translation for the second game. I never did complete the 2nd game... it's been over 7 years already. Gosh...
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

I keep considering getting Sakura Wars V (even though I don't have the proper console to play it) simply because I LOVE the character design for Gemini Sunrise. I don't own (nor have I played) ANY Sakura Taisen games, but I have a Gemini Sunrise figure and a couple of items from the cafe they had before it closed.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

The Sega Dreamcast is great for emulation. Just by downloading one software. You load it and then you put a disc of NES, SNES, Sega Master, Sega 16-bit or Atari games. 8-Bit games play flawlessly, SNES tends to lag at times.

All you need to download is NESTER - http://www.dcemulation.org/?title=Emulators and burn the ISO to a CD-R (not a DVD-R).

Boot your Dreamcast with NESTER, take the disc out and put in your disc of roms and NESTER will play them on your Dreamcast. You can change the speed...but yeah, it's great for those who want to play Japanese Famicom games.
greg

Post by greg »

Heero wrote:I keep considering getting Sakura Wars V (even though I don't have the proper console to play it) simply because I LOVE the character design for Gemini Sunrise. I don't own (nor have I played) ANY Sakura Taisen games, but I have a Gemini Sunrise figure and a couple of items from the cafe they had before it closed.
Kousuke Fujishima's artwork on the Sakura Taisen series (as well as the Tales Of series) is always great. The cafe you mentioned, is that the one that was in the Sega Gigo game center in Ikebukuro? I used to visit there a lot. I have a photo or two I'd taken in there. I should find it and upload it sometime.
kndy wrote:The Sega Dreamcast is great for emulation. Just by downloading one software. You load it and then you put a disc of NES, SNES, Sega Master, Sega 16-bit or Atari games. 8-Bit games play flawlessly, SNES tends to lag at times.
Sega of Japan's Dreamcast network allowed people to purchase ROMs of older games, such as Megadrive and PC Engine games, to be played on the DC. I never tried this, but I imagine that it required the game to be downloaded fresh each time, unless they could somehow be stored onto the VMU memory units. If so, I have no idea if a constant Internet connection would be necessary. With online multiplayer games and a Web browser and such, the Dreamcast was ahead of its time in many ways. It just needed an internal hard drive.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

greg wrote:Kousuke Fujishima's artwork on the Sakura Taisen series (as well as the Tales Of series) is always great.
I'm a big fan of Fujishima's work and I live in Texas, so Fujishima artwork + Texas motif = awesome character design. ;)
The cafe you mentioned, is that the one that was in the Sega Gigo game center in Ikebukuro?
That's the one!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I keep meaning to pick up that PS2 released one! I heard it was pretty good. I still have my Sakura Wars 3 and 4 for the Dreamcast. :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

After I bought the first two Sakura Taisen games for the Dreamcast, I was tempted to sell off the Saturn versions I own. I figured I wouldn't get much for them, so I kept them. I am glad I did, because I am currently making a "100 import-only Saturn games in 10 minutes" video to eventually put on Youtube.

The second game in the series was so much better than the first, however I thought that the battles in the first game were more challenging. Once I get a TV, I want to finally get around to finishing #2 and perhaps start #3. I'm just getting to the part in life where I just do not have all the free time I once had. Before we had our baby, my wife was a waitress and often worked evenings, so I had a kind of bachelor life and spent time with my single friends. Now, I collect games faster than I can play them. The same can be said about anime, manga, plastic models, and books.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page