The Top 25 Japanese RPG's

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: The Top 25 Japanese RPG's

Post by Animusubi »

Yay! Suikoden II is on the list! I also enjoyed Final Fantasy IX, it's my favorite of the FF games.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram

llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Would you like me to regale you all with the story of how I once passed up Suikoden 2 for $20 only to see it reappear in the same game store for about $200 just 9 months later? :(

I think that day I had a choice between Dragon Quest 7 and Suikoden 2 for $20 and I picked DQ7. Now, I loved DQ7 but let's face it, it's not that hard to find DQ7 today for a reasonable price and it's not that rare. Story of my life--poor long-term decision making on my part. :x

llj

Post by llj »

So what about you guys? Having played 2 JRPGs back to back in the last 5 months has got me thinking about how I'd rank my faves. I won't include SJRPGs since they're more about maps tactics than adventure.

Top 5 in no particular order:

--Tales of Symphonia
--Lunar 1 (PS1)
--Persona 4
--Grandia
--Final Fantasy VI

After the top 5...

--Skies of Arcadia
--Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter
--Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
--Earthbound
--Phantasy Star 1

11-20:

--Chrono Trigger
--Final Fantasy IV
--Super Mario RPG
--Persona 3
--Dragon Quest VII
--Suikoden 1
--Suikoden 3
--Phantasy Star 4
--Xenogears
--Secret of Mana

21-25:

--Final Fantasy 9
--Xenosaga
--Radiata Stories
--Lunar 2 (Sega CD)
--Mana Khemia

TBD (AKA still languishing on my shelves after playing about 2 hours of each):

Dragon Quest 8
Xenosaga 2+3
Breath of Fire III
Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy V
Devil Summoner 2

greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Hmm... top 5 RPGs that I enjoyed the most (in no particular order):
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Grandia
Skies of Arcadia
Secret of Mana (if you discount action RPGs, then substitute this with Tales of Symphonia).

It usually takes me quite a while to complete RPGs, especially when I get stuck in a tricky spot. Even moreso now that I have a kid. I really enjoyed Grandia 2, Star Ocean 2, and Riviera as well. I have quite a backlog of JRPGs I have yet to play in my collection. I have a feeling I will really enjoy playing Radiant Historia and Growlanser too. I am ashamed to admit that I have no experience playing any Dragon Quest, Lunar, or Phantasy Star games yet. I own them, but have yet to play them. Well, I've played only a little bit of some DQ and Lunar games. I played some Lunar on the Saturn, and thought it was peculiar that you can just put the battles on automatic. I don't know if the original Sega CD version is like that. I DQ4-6 and 9 for my DS, and I have the Phantasy Star collection (1-3) on the GBA. I recently got the Genesis collection for the PSP in order to get PS 4.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page

danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Hands down favorites:
Lunar 1 & 2

Next favorites:
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Lufia*

Other RPGs I liked a lot:
Dragon Warrior 1 - 4
Robotrek*
FF 6 & 7
Breath of Fire
Alundra*

The ones marked with stars are under appreciated and should be played by all.

llj

Post by llj »

greg wrote:
It usually takes me quite a while to complete RPGs, especially when I get stuck in a tricky spot. Even moreso now that I have a kid. I really enjoyed Grandia 2, Star Ocean 2, and Riviera as well. I have quite a backlog of JRPGs I have yet to play in my collection. I have a feeling I will really enjoy playing Radiant Historia and Growlanser too. I am ashamed to admit that I have no experience playing any Dragon Quest, Lunar, or Phantasy Star games yet. I own them, but have yet to play them. Well, I've played only a little bit of some DQ and Lunar games. I played some Lunar on the Saturn, and thought it was peculiar that you can just put the battles on automatic. I don't know if the original Sega CD version is like that. I DQ4-6 and 9 for my DS, and I have the Phantasy Star collection (1-3) on the GBA. I recently got the Genesis collection for the PSP in order to get PS 4.
I've been playing them since I was 15 or 16. I hit a patch in my early college years where my social life went to shit and I blew through a dozen or so RPGs in one summer. Now I basically play through about 2 or 3 a year. To be honest, I'm astonished I've finished all these. There are also a lot I haven't got on my above list, too.

Yeah, Lunar does have some auto-set battle functions. I think a couple of other RPGs have them too. These are usually to offset the tedium of random battles against weaker enemies.

I haven't played Dragon Quest 1-6, though I do have DQ 3 on the GBC.

greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

llj wrote:Yeah, Lunar does have some auto-set battle functions. I think a couple of other RPGs have them too. These are usually to offset the tedium of random battles against weaker enemies.
Eiyuu Densetsu (Legend of Heroes) 2: Dragon Slayer for the Super Famicom has an automatic battle system as well. (Incidentally, I have it also for the PC Engine CD but I've yet to play it on there. I imagine that auto battle system is present on the PCE version too.)

I actually miss my college days of zero social life, when I could play an RPG all afternoon or all night long. I would play Secret of Mana for hours on end until my SNES started making some funny colors. It was only that game that did that. On occasion I was able to play that game 2 player. It must be interesting to play it with 3 players.

Nowadays, I still have zero social life, but although my daughter enjoys watching me play video games, I have to watch out for my wife because she grows horns from her head whenever I play video games around our daughter. She is the ONLY one in her family who doesn't enjoy video games (her sister likes Famicom stuff and her mom owns a DS). It's okay if she watches Anpanman for an hour, but if she watches a video game for 15 minutes, somehow it is going to hurt her eyes and her brain. I swear...

ANYHOO, most of my RPG gaming is on my DS or PSP. Maybe I ought to get one of those smaller monitors with AV hookups like they have on Game Center CX and put it in my hobby room. I hate to admit defeat, but at least I could play games more in peace and quiet.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page