Eight tracks from JRPGs that Japanese gamers just can’t stop

Post by kndy »

Eight tracks from JRPGs that Japanese gamers just can’t stop listening to

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/10/12/e ... %E3%80%91/
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Eight tracks from JRPGs that Japanese gamers just can’t

Post by greg »

I can't imagine having fond memories of playing Final Fantasy 8. That song was sweet, I suppose. I vowed to beat that game because it was pissing me off so much. So I didn't complete the game because I enjoyed it. It was more similar to Khrushchev banging his shoe on the table and shouting, "I WILL BURY YOU!" Fortunately, I waited 10 years to sell the game, so I actually got a fair deal at Bookmans when I sold it.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:I can't imagine having fond memories of playing Final Fantasy 8. That song was sweet, I suppose. I vowed to beat that game because it was pissing me off so much. So I didn't complete the game because I enjoyed it. It was more similar to Khrushchev banging his shoe on the table and shouting, "I WILL BURY YOU!" Fortunately, I waited 10 years to sell the game, so I actually got a fair deal at Bookmans when I sold it.
FF8 was my favorite...I rather see CG remake of that film than 7. I have beaten every game but FFXII and FFXII-2...I don't know...the game is not as fun as other FF's for me...I usually am hooked on FF games and can't stop. But I had Faye Wong's song play on my PDA all the time back then.

But when I think about it...most of the game soundtracks that I have listened to a lot are FF games... Especially One-Winged Angel (Sephiroth) from FF X.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I just started typing a reply before I realized that I had already ranted abotu Final Fantasy 8 in another thread. The Guardian Force system is what really turned me off. It's like they tried using the Espers system from FF6, except they failed miserably. In FF6 (my favorite FF game of all) you can equip an Esper to learn new magic spells, and when you remove the junction with that Esper, you still have the ability to cast those learned spells. FF8 makes it so that unless you are junctioned with a GF, your character is worthless. You cannot use items at all, and your stats are garbage. Then you get into the micromanaging aspects of the GFs and the inanely repetitive magic drawing constantly from some animal that keeps attacking you... I'm willing to forgive the convoluted, implausible plot and the main character being an emo dick if the game didn't have all of those faults.

I was able to beat the evil witch queen/babysitter lady at the end because I had joined all my GFs to make only three very powerful characters, and by complete random chance, those three strong characters were selected from the beginning. I then began casting the wall and magic barrier spells and started attacking her. I never bothered playing the included card game because I don't like card games.

So anyhow, that's why I didn't care for the game. It didn't prompt a rage quit or anything, and I can see the aesthetic appeal to the game. It is a nice song, though. It actually stirred quite an emotional response in me, and it took me a while after that ending to remind myself why I didn't like the game!

As for my favorite music from RPGs, it would have to be definitely the FF6 and Chrono Trigger soundtracks. Celis's theme from FF6 is beautiful. Aerith's theme from FF7 was incredibly beautiful, too! Star Ocean 2's music was also pretty great, IIRC. And I can't forget Grandia's music, too!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:As for my favorite music from RPGs, it would have to be definitely the FF6 and Chrono Trigger soundtracks. Celis's theme from FF6 is beautiful. Aerith's theme from FF7 was incredibly beautiful, too! Star Ocean 2's music was also pretty great, IIRC. And I can't forget Grandia's music, too!
FF6 is great! SO2 is also great!