Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: Video games that should've been made into anime

Post by danth »

ParaParaJMo wrote: Double Dragon
Strider Hiryu
YES.

Although there was a US made Double Dragon cartoon that was horrible.
And I just learned that the also-horrible 90's movie starred Alyssa Milano as Marion, the girlfriend of the Lee brothers. Weird.
An anime would have been amazing.

Strider Hiryu is one of my favorites as well.
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I can't believe I liked the Double Dragon cartoon back in the 90s. My brother has the VHS tapes and I don't count that piece of crap of a movie anyway. We still make fun of the theme song to this day though.

I still think the Metal Gear franchise with the Japanese voice cast would make a great anime.

As for Time Gal/Ninja Hayate, I plan on getting the Saturn version somewhere down the line.

I would also like to see a Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage anime. I want the action to be done along the lines of either Grappler Baki or Street Fighter II the Animated movie.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Ah yes! Shining Force would have made an interesting anime, I think.

I bought my Saturn version of Time Gal & Ninja Hayate on YAJ. Actually, a lot of games I buy are on YAJ. Occasionally I'll buy some games when I visit Tokyo.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

greg wrote:Weird. I just looked up on Wikipedia and there is a correlation between Xenosaga and Xenogears. I just thought that they coincidentally shared the word "xeno" in their name, just like Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic. I've never played either game, so I wouldn't know.
The correlation between the two is slim at best. In fact other than possibly being in the same universe (many hundreds of years apart, granted), I don't recall any concrete references to Xenogears in Xenosaga.

I'm generally not a fan of game to anime adaptations. I enjoyed the Street Fighter and Fatal Fury anime because they were fun and unpretentious and gave us generally original adventures involving these characters, but stuff like Persona 4 which basically retells the video game story--no matter how well it does it--isn't really my thing. I don't like to see the same story twice, as a rule.
greg

Post by greg »

By the time I finish an RPG, I'd forgotten about so many of the subquests experienced and minor characters encountered along the way. I wouldn't mind seeing a literal anime adaptation of something like Final Fantasy 6 or something. I'd be all for it.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

greg wrote:By the time I finish an RPG, I'd forgotten about so many of the subquests experienced and minor characters encountered along the way. I wouldn't mind seeing a literal anime adaptation of something like Final Fantasy 6 or something. I'd be all for it.
Ditto! I played Guild Wars and Neverwinter Nights almost religiously! Plus, I am a big fan of Alice the Madness Returns and Catherine. I would love to see those made into anime.
***^__^***
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

greg wrote:By the time I finish an RPG, I'd forgotten about so many of the subquests experienced and minor characters encountered along the way. I wouldn't mind seeing a literal anime adaptation of something like Final Fantasy 6 or something. I'd be all for it.
You could also simply play it again, though. ;)
greg

Post by greg »

True, but for me, an RPG takes a very long time. I pine for my college days when I could park my ass on the Super Nintendo all day long and grind through an RPG, but life is a bit more complex for me these days.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Der Langrisser FX for the PC-FX has a pretty cool anime intro that gives a glimpse at what a Langrisser anime could have been like, if they'd made one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwFxUaI6I7c
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I would love to see Dead or Alive turned into an anime. I'm surprised that it's never happened. The characters, especially the female ones, have a huge following with tons of related merchandise. It seems like a no-brainer to adapt it into animated form.

Metal Gear Solid also seems ripe for an adaptation into anime. I know there's talk of a Metal Gear live-action movie, but I really don't think it will translate to film well, not with all of the quirky qualities that makes the franchise so memorable...especially not in this day and age when most films aim to be 'realistic' and gritty.

Lollipop Chainsaw would be an obvious choice too. Cheerleader vs. zombies is an instant sell, especially considering the runaway success of High School of the Dead.

Still, I'm most perplexed that Metroid was never turned into an anime. Heck, it never even received it's own animated series in the US, whereas Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic all did.