Video games that should've been made into anime

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Video games that should've been made into anime

Post by greg »

So we discussed anime that were based on anime before. When it comes to games that should have been made into anime, what are your picks? Here are some of mine:

Kiki Kaikai: The original arcade game by Taito was nice, but when Natsume turned it into an awesome 2 player game for the Super Famicom (known as Pocky & Rocky on the SNES), Sayo-chan (Pocky) gained a sidekick, a tanuki named Manuke (Rocky). Together they fight all sorts of ghosts, monsters, and ghouls.

Final Fantasy 6: If only the actual Final Fantasy anime had anything to do with actual Final Fantasy games. Since FF6 is my favorite, it gets my vote.

Chrono Trigger: I know that there was some sort of supplemental one-time OVA that had something to do with the game, but an actual show based on the game would've been great.

Either Gunbird or Sengoku Blade: These two shmups by Psikyo are very character-rich, so either one would make a decent anime, I think.

Langrisser: NCS Masaya's long-running SRPG series was fantastic, and the character designs were done by Satoshi Urushihara. I'd just love to see more fantasy-based anime.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: Video games that should've been made into anime

Post by danth »

LUNAR.
greg wrote: Chrono Trigger:

Langrisser:
Also good ideas.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I totally agree with FF6 and Chrono Trigger! The little OAV they did was pretty cute, but the new anime cut-scenes they did for the Playstation release were so great...the story would've made a great series.

I think any of the Lunar games would've made great anime series as well. I remember the anime character designs and cut-scenes were something that drew a lot of my friends to the games in the first place, heh.

Edit: HAHA, danth posted Lunar while I was making this post. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
danth

Post by danth »

greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Another one I just thought of is Cotton! This shmup series has appeared on so many consoles. It features a cute witch flying on a broom looking for candy that can magically grant wishes.

A Puyo Puyo anime could somehow be made interesting too, I think. The characters are actually originally from an RPG series called Madou Monogatari, which can be found on the PC Engine and Super Famicom, but they go for very high prices.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth

Post by danth »

Langrisser art is fucking amazing.

Would love to see an anime that looks like that. And nobody say Legend of Lemnear. :)
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I would like Neverwinter Nights and Guild Wars to be made into anime. Also Alice the Madness Returns would be a great subject for an anime.
***^__^***
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Okay Danth, then what about Plastic Little then? ;)
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Actually, I'd like them to do more live action big budget films from games. We'll have to see where they are going with WoW. Maybe then Blizz can get Diablo/Diablo II done. Neverwinter and R.A. Salvatore's books done to film would be awesome if done right but you have to make them on the scale of LoTR or the Hobbit which most companies aren't prepared to do...
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I just remembered! Duke Nukem! That would be an excellent anime subject. It would be a cross between Southpark and Fist of the Northstar. Anyone that played Duke Nukem 3D knows what I am talking about.
***^__^***