Sega Saturn Love

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Sega Saturn Love

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Although I didn't have a Sega Saturn when it launched, I eventually added one to my collection. For fans of 2D fighting games and shmups, you really cannot go wrong with the Saturn. In particular, the games that take advantage of the Extended RAM cartridges play incredibly well.

Some of my favorite games for the Saturn are:
-Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen (Keio Flying Squadron 2)
-Waku Waku 7
-Burning Rangers
-Pocket Fighter

I also just picked up the English version of Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean for the Saturn, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far! It's a fun RPG that I'd recommend to any Saturn owners.

I really wish that the Saturn had been able to find more of an audience; this was-and is-a great system!
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Well, my brother bought an American Saturn in the twilight of its years. He got it for like less than a $100 at a Best Buy in the middle of 1997 lol. Then I bought a Japanese one back in 2009 for like $30 and it works great. Got a few arcade controllers and the controller for Nights. In some places, you can buy a pack of like 15 games for like $10 in Japan lol.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

My Sega-loving, new coworker came over yesterday on our day off and we played a bunch of Saturn games. He'd never played the Dungeons and Dragons pack before, or other great games like Asuka 120% and Twinkle Star Sprites. We tried out Cleopatra Fortune, the Taito puzzle game I recently scored. It holds its value for sure, but it's not very expensive like the Dreamcast version is.

There are two Tokimeki Memorial puzzle games for the Saturn. One is the Taisen Puzzle Dama, the game that Konami has multiplied for so many other characters and game franchises (Twinbee, Tsuyoshi Shikkari Nasai, etc). It's somewhat similar to Puyo Puyo. The other I've owned for a bit, but I had yet to play until yesterday. It is called Taisen Tokkae Dama. As its Japanese name implies, you take the pieces and switch them with others in order to clear them out. It's pretty fun!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Like Greg, I opted for the PlayStation over the Saturn but I knew a couple people who had them and they absolutely loved them (and certainly not for the wide selection of sports games). I'll admit, compared to Sony and even Nintendo, at the time, the software support was lacking from Sega but I'll always remember having RPGs and the like sorts of games to play on Saturn. I'll also admit that the cartridge to play import games was a really cool feature, though none of my friends had them (I was the only one interested in imports). Much better than PlayStation's options of GameShark adapters, boot disks or motherboard chips.

I went with PlayStation because another friend of mine had one, modded for imports, with Dragonball Z Legends, import Tobal No. 1, and Final Fantasy VII. I started playing FFVII at his house and wanted one of my own. I thought about buying a Saturn later, again, imports, but just never opted for it. During the 16-bit generation, I had a Genesis but not a whole lot of games for it. I guess I felt burned by my Genesis a little bit and the support for Saturn was already downhill in the US by the time I got to being able to afford one.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Yeah, the American selection is understandble to those why they would be turned off by the Saturn
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Sega Saturn was a huge part of my childhood. Probably one of the systems I have fond memories of, mainly because I started getting more into gaming when we had it. Nights into Dreams was the first game I ever completed myself. And it's still one of those games to me that changed my mind about games. I had always seen my brother and mom play games in front of me, but I was never THAT into it myself. The controller for Nights was so comfortable to me. And it just hooked me. Second to that, Albert Odyssey. I rented that game so many times. I almost beat it. Other mentions would be Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes, Dark Legend, Dragon Force, and Astal. I wanted the Magic Knight Rayearth game too, when I had finally saved enough for it, they were out of stock forever.

A Sega Saturn and a Dreamcast are on my most wanted systems list right now. I just love all the games they offer on both systems, there's so many I want to play.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg

Post by greg »

ryoran wrote:A Sega Saturn and a Dreamcast are on my most wanted systems list right now. I just love all the games they offer on both systems, there's so many I want to play.
As far as the Saturn goes, you may be better off just getting a Japanese Saturn, since Japanese games are easier to come by than North American ones.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

greg wrote:
ryoran wrote:A Sega Saturn and a Dreamcast are on my most wanted systems list right now. I just love all the games they offer on both systems, there's so many I want to play.
As far as the Saturn goes, you may be better off just getting a Japanese Saturn, since Japanese games are easier to come by than North American ones.
I know right? Thankfully my brother has most of the rare Saturn games, like Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'd probably buy Burning Rangers import because it's just an action game. But the RPGS...I mean I can read some Japanese, but not all. :(

The only ones I really want to get are Burning Rangers, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Albert Odyssey. Years ago, Albert was $60 at a local game store. But now it's twice that. :< MKR is nearly $300. Burning Rangers is $190. YEESH. Still, since I'm not a HUGE gamer, getting the few games I want are worth it because I wouldn't have a huge collection. Just favorites.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg

Post by greg »

Jinkeez! I own Albert Oddyssey, as well as Shining the Holy Ark. I figured that they may command a high price, but I haven't really investigated. I have Burning Rangers, but I'd bought it online from damn Funcoland, who I am convinced made a policy to trash all boxes and manuals to save storage space. I paid fifty bucks for that game, and all I got was a disc-only from those bastards. I called them and all they said was, "Well, if we happen to have the box and manual, we will ship it." There was no price differentiation between disc/game-only and complete. At least Game Stop doesn't do that.

I gave my black North American Saturn to my friend for his birthday several years ago, along with my English versions of Saturn Bomberman, Darius Gaiden, Nights, Daytona USA, and Virtual On. I have since replaced those games with the Japanese versions. For the very few English Saturn games that I own, those converter cartridges work on Japanese systems to play English games.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I was a PS1 fanboy! I liked the Sega Genesis because of Sonic the Hedgehog, but that was the only Sega title I was a crazy about. PS1 had a lot of anime themed games that attracted me to the con sole. Parasite Eve, Ghost in the Shell, and Dinocrisis were some of my favorites.
***^__^***