Sega Dreamcast Love

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Sega Dreamcast Love

Post by greg »

ParaParaJMo wrote:Well the internet and Japan is relatively still full of great DC titles.
That's the difference between typical game stores in America vs Japan. In America, the predominant game store is (was?) Gamestop, and they shun older systems. Before them was Funcoland, the company I am pretty sure had a policy to toss out all boxes and manuals of older games and sold them cart/disc only.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

There are lots of indie game stores around North America that sell retro games, some stores carry games as old as Colecovision even. But prices are becoming irritatingly high, and as a consequence collectors are holding onto the more reknowned games longer and paying higher prices for them, which in turn raises the market value of said games. Capcom vs SNK and Marvel vs Capcom, for example...neither of those two games should really be going for any more than $20 US OR CDN but some places are selling them for 50, 60 dollars and they are getting scarce. Of course, these are ripoff prices for games that are often censored of gimped. Agetec for example really did wrong with their SNK titles yet people still want them. WHY?

Prices and availability does seem to vary from region to region though. PS1 Rhapsody A Musical Adventure seems to be much more common in the US that it is in Canada. I've only run into ONE copy ever in Ontario, Canada.

In Japan the video game collector market doesn't seem as pronounced as it is in the West and games move through various owners more frequently, which keeps retro games prices more stable.
greg

Post by greg »

So this week, a new teacher started working. He saw my intro profile I use for schools and saw that I'm into retro games. It turns out he's a big Sega Saturn and Dreamcast fan. YES! You'd think that it would be easy to find others in Japan who are into nerdy stuff, but not in my experience. I plan to show him my game collection soon.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

That's pretty awesome.

Should we make a thread for Saturn love as well?
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah, good idea!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

I went to the Otakara in Numazu yesterday with the fam. I've covered this place in this video and specifically the game selection in this video. There I bought for the Dreamcast Neo Golden Logres, which is a pinball game for the DC I never knew existed until I saw it at this store, and Tricolore Crise, a little-known RPG with a phoney Frenchy sounding name. I found a couple of nice treasures:

Virtual On twin sticks for the DC for under 2000 yen, boxed!

Dance Dance Revolution dance mat for the DC for only 1280 yen! It says on the box "contents in beautiful condition". Many people don't even know that DDR came out for the DC, but there were actually two different DDR games for the DC.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Recently it was the Dreamcast's 15th anniversary...I keep forgetting it's been that long! I had a friend who did a day-long stream of playing Shenmue and now I kinda want to go back and play that, since I still have my copy. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Recently it was the Dreamcast's 15th anniversary...I keep forgetting it's been that long! I had a friend who did a day-long stream of playing Shenmue and now I kinda want to go back and play that, since I still have my copy. :lol:
Shenmue is one game I definitely want to go back and play again soon; one of my all-time favorites!
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Technically, the 16th anniversary is almost 2 months.
greg

Post by greg »

I certainly thought of the Dreamcast's anniversary on September 9th! I don't know what it's arrival in Japan was, but 9/9/99 is a very memorable release date!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page