Heyas!

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
X-KID Z
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Heyas!

Post by X-KID Z »

Hey, nice to meet everyone! Excited to be part of the forum!

I was going to just copy and paste what I had submitting in my registration application, but it was kind of lengthy so I thought it would be better to keep it short as a first introduction.

Anime fan from the late 80's to the 90's. Around the time anime was still being called "Japanimation" is when I remember being struck most by the visuals and content. Anime has become something that isn't familiar to me these days, and I've come to definitely be more aware of that in more recent years. I don't get "that feeling", anymore. Which I guess naturally brings me to this forum!

A few of my favorite animes are Macross Plus, Street Fighter II The Movie, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ranma, and of course Dragon Ball Z!

I'm also into Gunpla and other plamos, but I haven't invested as much as I like into it yet, but it's getting there. A big fan of non-sports trading cards as well. In particular the old Japanese Dragon Ball Z cards, in relation to anime.
Kwantzu dudes!
X-KID Z

Re: Heyas!

Post by X-KID Z »

For those of you interested, or bored enough here's a cut and paste from my registration form intro. Going more into detail on my anime history.

"Hello I was recommended to this site by Ryoran.

I grew up as a military brat, my dad being in the navy. I pretty much lived around the Pacific Rim from Hawaii, Washington State, Guam and the Philippines. That being the case anime was something that had seem to be always around. My earliest memories with anime was watching Voltes V, which of course was HUGELY popular in the Philippines. I remember playing with friends and pretending to slice through monsters with the Voltes V "V" slash! In Guam my mother worked at a toy store in the 80's, selling all those rare and sought after 80's generation GI Joe's, Transformers, and other popular 80's toys. The window display had a showcase of Robotech with the toys and VHS's. I begged and begged my mom for it until finally she was able to borrow the VHS! Seeing Rick Hunter transform his Veritech fighter for the first time I still remember watching it as a really young kid! Watching my neighbor friends playing with the Takatoku Valkyrie toys I was really jealous. Even though my mom worked at a toy store I was always the kid who grew up not having many toys of my own and playing with other peoples.

In Washington State the only anime I was exposed to was the TV broadcasts of shows like Ronin Warriors and Technoman. Which I loved! I had heard about the Street Fighter II Animated Movie, and the infamous Chun Li shower scene in the uncut "red box" version. That was around the first time I heard the term "Japanimation". I associated that word with movies like the Street Fighter II movie, Akira, Ninja Scroll. Japanimation equated to "graphic", "violent", "nudity", "adult" animation! I remember seeing the Running Man anime on MTV's Liquid Television and was entranced by it's graphic visuals!

Then moving to Hawaii I was exposed to much more anime! Dragon Ball Z had begun showing in the US, but pretty much everyone in Hawaii had seen it all. Being broadcast in Hawaii already on a local Japanese channel, and have begun on GT at the same time Japan was airing it. My friends would lend me Dragon Ball Z tapes recorded by their grandmothers in Japan with all the commercials and everything. Collecting the Japanese Dragon Ball Z cards was popular then. I got my first brand new anime at the time which was Macross Plus which started my anime collection! My mom had to buy it since it got flagged when rung up and I wasn't 18. The cashier was confused as to why someone had to be 18 to buy a cartoon.

I was spellbound by the animation coming out of Japan in the 80's and 90's such as Macross, Tekkaman Blade, Gundam 0083, Street Fighter, Dragon Ball Z, Ranma, Ghost in the Shell, 8 Man After etc. I don't get that same "feeling" about anime today. Which brings me to this forum. Perhaps I can have enjoyable chats about anime with people without the other person saying, "that's old", and with me saying, "I haven't seen that anime(i.e. Attack on Titan, and Sword Art online)."
I am interested in connecting with people who remember and still enjoy the anime I remember. I wouldn't say I'm nostalgic about old anime since for me I don't feel the "age" of the anime from the mid 90's and before. They are just as alive and interesting to me today! There's much I haven't seen yet and enjoy getting into today. Such as recently finally getting into Patlabor. Patlabor was the other VHS I was trying to decide between when I got Macross Plus. Virus Buster Serge, Dangaioh, and Metal Armor Dragonar are others I just started to watch recently. Which bring me to my other reason for interest in this forum. To get recommendations and discover anime I haven't seen yet, and possibly as a resource on how to find things such as Laserdics, and Japanese Dragon Ball Z cards!
Other than strictly anime interests, I am a comic book fan particularly X-Men, but again I really only seem to dig the stuff from the 90's. I also enjoy Tokusatsu and Super Sentai shows. There are countless other interests and anime related info I could go on about, but I think this intro has already become too long winded! So I guess that pretty much sums up myself as an anime fan of yesteryear!"
Kwantzu dudes!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Boy, I was afraid you weren't going to paste the long self-introduction. That's far more interesting than a brief self-intro! Welcome to the forum! I am also a modeler. I was just at the All Japan Model Hobby Show on Sunday, but I actually didn't pay much attention to the Gundam stuff, aside from the new Zeta II model.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
X-KID Z

Post by X-KID Z »

greg wrote:Boy, I was afraid you weren't going to paste the long self-introduction. That's far more interesting than a brief self-intro! Welcome to the forum! I am also a modeler. I was just at the All Japan Model Hobby Show on Sunday, but I actually didn't pay much attention to the Gundam stuff, aside from the new Zeta II model.
Hey thanks!

That's reallly cool, some day I'll make my way over there and attend all the neat events in Japan. In the mean time I'll check out gunplatv's coverage! What were some of the things that interested you at the show?
Kwantzu dudes!
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Glad you finally decided to join. You belong here. LOL
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I also extend your welcome to these forums. You got some great taste.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Welcome! I am a big fan of anime and I always will be an anime fan. The older anime has a special feel to it. I think there is no real substitute for the nostalgia created by the older animes like Angel Cop, Ako, Galaxy Express, Robotech, and Golgo 13. Yet, there are some honorable mentions that came out recently.

Death Note, Gilgamesh, and Sword Art Online are some newer animes that are excellent. Try those titles I think you will be very much intrigued. It is amazing how the Japanese are coming up with these new ideas for plots. Give those titles a try. You will be pleased with those titles. I am glad you posted the full introduction.
***^__^***
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

X-KID Z wrote:That's reallly cool, some day I'll make my way over there and attend all the neat events in Japan. In the mean time I'll check out gunplatv's coverage! What were some of the things that interested you at the show?
The main reason why I went to the hobby show in Tokyo was to see Bandai's new Star Wars kits up close. I got to see the sprues and everything, and to ask many questions and provide information for fellow modelers who are also anxious about these kits. Fine Molds did such a fantastic job with their Star Wars kits, but these new Bandai versions have some attention to detail that FM didn't have.

As far as anime kits go, Hasegawa was showing their first non-Valkyrie Macross model kit: the DYRL movie version of the SDF-1 Macross! There have been kits before by ARII and IMAI for the Macross, but they were the TV versions. This new kit will be a larger scale, plus it's the awesome DYRL version! It was just a roughly textured, unpainted, 3D printed prototype, but it was still pretty exciting.

We have a chat event scheduled for this weekend. Check out the off-topic forum for news on that if you're interested in joining!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Welcome, welcome! :D Always great to see new faces around here!

Ah, so cool you got to see stuff on TV in Hawaii. Back in the 90s I had some penpals that lived in Hawaii, and they'd occasionally send me tapes of stuff they recorded off of TV--that was my first exposure to Crayon Shin-chan!

And no worries--you won't have any problems with conversations like that here! ;) Though I totally understand your frustration. (I think we all do, unfortunately.) So you've definitely come to the right place.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
X-KID Z

Post by X-KID Z »

Ah, so cool you got to see stuff on TV in Hawaii. Back in the 90s I had some penpals that lived in Hawaii, and they'd occasionally send me tapes of stuff they recorded off of TV--that was my first exposure to Crayon Shin-chan!
Oh yeah! I used to watch Crayon Shin-chan on KIKU TV with my little sister! It came on at 7:30 every night. It was just as common there as the Simpsons!
Kwantzu dudes!