Macross Delta

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Macross Delta

Post by greg »

So a new Macross series is on the horizon: Macross Delta. There was a panel at the All-Japan Model Hobby Show on Saturday that discussed this, but I was unable to attend since I was working at the event. All I know is that as far as merchandising go, there will be an "open license." I don't know what exactly that all entails, but in terms of models and such go, there will be more companies involved. For plastic models, this means not only Bandai, Hasegawa, and Wave as has been up until now, but also now Aoshima and Tomytec will be involved, too.

As for the anime, I don't know where this falls in the established storyline. I assume after Macross F, but I'm really out of it when it comes to Macross.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: Macross Delta

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:So a new Macross series is on the horizon: Macross Delta. There was a panel at the All-Japan Model Hobby Show on Saturday that discussed this, but I was unable to attend since I was working at the event. All I know is that as far as merchandising go, there will be an "open license." I don't know what exactly that all entails, but in terms of models and such go, there will be more companies involved. For plastic models, this means not only Bandai, Hasegawa, and Wave as has been up until now, but also now Aoshima and Tomytec will be involved, too.

As for the anime, I don't know where this falls in the established storyline. I assume after Macross F, but I'm really out of it when it comes to Macross.
The model kit plan, I can't help but laugh, but it should mean some good stuff.

Remember, the original consortium that made up Big West and the planning group were all companies smarting from Bandai's growing dominance, fueled by their co-pro deals with Sunrise. Also, Takara.

So Takatoku Toys, Imai, Arii, Nitto (and later Gakken and L/S and I can't recall the others but those are the key players) all banded together to take on the nascent Bandai giant. It was supposed to level the playing field. Sadly the success was very short lived. They never were able to recapture the lightning in the bottle that was Macross.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I remembered the announcement for Macross Delta but went looking on Wikipedia for more detailed information. As much as I love the 80s and 90s projects, I've been so burned by the 2000s projects that I am super hesitant to get any more invested in it until it actually comes out.

I think it's cool that there will be multiple companies producing model kits, probably one of the few times to actually have multiple runs of the same kit (BanDai, I am looking at you with your umpteen RX-78 kits at all scales). The only drawback I can see is if the design of the lead Valkyrie in particular, is boring or uninspiring. According to Macross Delta's wikipedia page, Kawamori is said to base the design on the Saab J35 'Draken', which I am wholly unfamiliar with. Good thing for Wiki links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_35_Draken A very vintage aircraft but has a striking view. The Delta's series is supposed to take place 8 years after Macross F, but then again, it's Macross, so chronology doesn't really matter ;).

When the show airs, I will probably start watching it but I just hope I am able to get into it more like I could with the original than I could Macross Frontier or Zero.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Kawamori loves him some Cold War aircraft. Luckily the design of the Draken doesn't really age, compared to, say, the F-101 Voodoo.

Drakens were one of the key model airplanes that got altered and transformed into different aircraft in several Gerry Anderson shows so that might be another subtle influence on Kawamori.

(never dismiss the power of Thunderbirds on many of the creative movers and shakers in anime. :) )
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Very true about the aircraft design, Steve. I like the way the Draken looks and I think it will be a good base design for the next generation of Valkyrie. I was more contrasting it with the original Valkirye, modeled after the F-14 Tomcat which was extremely contemporary for the time. I'll admit the one thing I liked from Macross Zero was the Sukhoi based design mecha during the dogfight in episode 1.

I had no idea about the Gerry Anderson stuff though, such as the Draken being used as a model base in those shows. I'll admit, I am most familiar with his name and the shows he created and much less so with their actual content.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by greg on 2015/11/02, 03:33:34 PST :

Re: Macross Delta :

The trailer is out now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKiLsbWiHY

It's neat to see the old Zentraedi battlepods appearing in this trailer. It looks a bit too female-centric, though. I hoped to see more of the Draken III Valkyrie, especially in transformation. There's a bunch of pictures and information in Japanese located

Originally written by labsenpai on 2015/11/02, 18:00:31 PST :

The valks and spaceships look fine, but the new world looks like an Escaflowne amusement park. Even on an alien planet, I don't think pioneers would decide to build dress in JRPG style.

Originally written by greg on 2015/11/03, 18:19:37 PST :

I didn't notice the clothing, but I was wondering what was up with that castle. I sure hope this doesn't suck. I still have yet to watch Macross F.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I thought I wrote about this here, but might've been lost with the forum move.

I watched it with X-Kid Z and we were both not impressed. We didn't even finish it.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I don't really have much interest in watching it unless someone I trust tells me it might be worth it? I wasn't too big on Frontier, there was some music in it I liked but I never got more than maybe 10 eps into it. Newer Macross seems to be made with the idea of trying to draw newer fans, I think, so there isn't a lot there for me.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

OK, Delta aired on BS11 at midnight last night. I recorded it and just finished watching it tonight. I like the designs and such, but without subtitles, I couldn't tell what was going on much. Apparently there's some sort of disease turning Zentraedi into depraved terrorists (sounds like what we're dealing with). They start attacking civilians. Both old and updated Zentraedi mecha are seen (yes!), and the updated Destroids are taking a beating. In come four Precure-style bishoujo singer types who start defeating the Zentraedi with holograms and crap, and then an enemy fleet folds into the star system and starts attacking everyone. These are the ones piloting the badass "Drakken Mk.III" starfighters. The protagonist hops into a damaged Valkyrie, saves the girl he likes (at least he's already an ace Patlabor-style mecha operator), goes on a flight just like Hikaru and Minmay (and I think Frontier did this, too), and his Valk's legs get blown off and they plummet to the ground. End of episode 1.

Hmm... I bet my daughter would like this, with all the goofy singing Precure stuff. I really don't get it. The only good thing going for this is the cool mecha. It seems that this takes place not too long after Frontier, and I think it uses some of the same mecha. So in the end, YMMV, I guess. I'll likely buy some of the model kits coming out, but not too excited about this show. I'll use my daughter as an excuse to keep watching it for the cool mecha. When I first saw the trailer, I got turned off by the goofy girl stuff. I started wondering if all the girls were Valk pilots. Then I found out that wasn't the case, so I got hopeful. Then I saw all that flying around like magical girls with silly hologram stuff and it really stretched my suspension of disbelief muscle so hard it cramped up on me.

SO, TL;DR: watch it for the neat mecha. Maybe alcohol consumption can help. I dunno. Can't recommend it so far.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

I think this new series is going to need to have some shocking reveals. Light show concerts and Itano-circus dogfights were only special back in the day of MACROSS PLUS. Macross Frontier benefited from an alien enemy that was not another humanoid race with a "YACK" response. I can tolerate another round of hopeful idols and pilots, but I don't want to see them consigned to policing outbreaks. MACROSS has to go big like a moon-blasting Daedalus punch :D